cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429I-DISC1 USART-error with Waijung blockset: timeout occured waiting for Rx data

Dvan .5
Associate II

I am trying to establish a hardware-in-the-loop setup with a STM32F429I-DISC1 with Waijung blockset. But I have a problem trying to establish UART communication. I dont receive any data coming out of the microcontroller with this method.

The host and the target simulink simulations are given in the figure below. I have installed the waijung_18.11a blockset.

0693W00000GWb06QAD.png0693W00000GWb0fQAD.pngFirstly, I wanted to try setup the UART Setup-block with certain settings, but stumbled on the following: I can't set it to UART1 and get the following error given in the figure below. The options to set the Tx pin and the Rx pin are also limited.

0693W00000GWb7MQAT.pngSo I tried to establish the communication with USART3, PD8 and PD9 by first building the target and running the host. And got the following error given in the figure below. According to the datasheet this pins can be used for UART: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/dm00071990.pdf .

0693W00000GWbAaQAL.pngBefore I used the Waijung blockset I have established processor-in-the-loop with STM32 MAT/Target blockset with this microcontroller and this worked. Hereby, I chose USART1 with pins PA9 and PA10. And communication occured via the USB cable attached to the USB ST-link input of the microcontroller.

In the Waijung configuration I am using a PL2303 TTL USB Serial Port RS232 Adapter 3.3v-5v that I connect to pin PD8 and PD9. While I see other people use a aMG F4 Connect 2 + aMG USB Converter N2. Is this really necessary?

I also have tried to test my UART communication with this microcontroller by using the STM32CubeProgrammer. But with no success.

Does someone have any idea what I am doing wrong? Is my hardware setup not correct or am I overlooking something else. Tips and help is much appreciated 🙂

Btw, I want to use Waijung blockset because less steps are involved and of the Waijung Execution Time Profiler feature it delivers. I'm also open for other methods with similar features that is also suitable for hardware-in-the-loop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dvan .5
Associate II

Solved it.

Just ignore the error in the 3rd picture. Then, double-click the UART setup block again to open it. Don't change anything and close it. Then open it another time, and the UART module has been set to your desired number. The Tx and the Rx pin will also change according to the selected UART module.

If you make changes in these simulink blocks of Waijung blockset, you need to reopen it, to see the changes. In this case, it was more than once. Kinda weird.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/um1670-discovery-kit-with-stm32f429zi-mcu-stmicroelectronics.pdf

For USART1 to VCP to PA9/PA10 check SB11 and SB15 bridges

PD8 and PD9 are connected to the SDRAM

What's the UART Module# ?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks for the quick reply,

How do I exactly configure the UART Setup block with Waijung blockset with these solder bridges. At the moment I can only select for Tx pin the following: "Not used", "B10", "C10" and "D8". For Rx: "Not used", "B11", "C11" and "D9".

Is there maybe some way to connect the PD8 and PD9 to the UART-pheripheral?

During the simulations given in the figures above I used UART Module 3

Dvan .5
Associate II

Solved it.

Just ignore the error in the 3rd picture. Then, double-click the UART setup block again to open it. Don't change anything and close it. Then open it another time, and the UART module has been set to your desired number. The Tx and the Rx pin will also change according to the selected UART module.

If you make changes in these simulink blocks of Waijung blockset, you need to reopen it, to see the changes. In this case, it was more than once. Kinda weird.