cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use specific NMEA data set

MSchmutz
Associate II

Hello I have another question

I am currently working on a microcontroller project I am building a GPS tachometer which transfers the NMEA data of the GNSS 4 Click Module from Mikroe via UART to my STM32L052K6T6 and outputs it to a display

How can I use a specific sentence from a set of NMEA data sets to output to a display? in my application I need the GPVTG data set, can I simply compare the strings or how can I best solve.

My existing code you can find below

2 REPLIES 2
Ozone
Lead

Depends on your application.

In the simplest case, just put any valid $GPVTG sentence through to the display.

GPS receive usually spit sentences out at the update rate specified (or the default startup value).

GPVTG might not be appropriate for all the data a tachometer application needs.

Yeah, looks a bit familiar.

Normally you can decompose the sentence into fields, either manually, or with strtok()

Should be aware that current generation GNSS devices report with $GN Talker ID, not just $GP for GPS

As Ozone indicates, you might want faster updates, most current uBlox offerings can do 5 Hz. the M8Q should be able to hit 10 Hz

To acheive this you'd likely want higher baud rates, and the cull the worthless NMEA messages like GSV, etc from clogging up the buffers.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..