cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing STM32CubeIDE on Debian Bookworm

SElli.11
Associate III

Hi,

I recently downloaded the general Linux install package en.st-stm32cubeide_1.16.1_22882_20240916_0822_amd64.sh.zip from https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html.
Using Ark, this was extracted into subfolder ~/Downloads/en.st-stm32cubeide_1.16.1_22882_20240916_0822_amd64.sh. I then "cd" into that folder and started the installation using "sudo sh st-stm32cubeide_1.16.1_22882_20240916_0822_amd64.sh". At the prompt "STM32CubeIDE install dir? [/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1_2]" I typed "y". I thought that the installer was suggesting the directory that it would default into which it would install the software. The rest of the installation seemed to progress "normally". When I subsequently tried to start up Stm32CubeIDE from /Applications<Launcher>/Development/STMicroelectronics Stm32CubeIDE 1.16.1, [BTW, the icon there is just that of a sheet of grey paper with the top right hand corner folded over] the system responded with the following notification.

"Launching STMicroelectronics
STM32CubeIDE 1.16.1 (Failed)
Could not find the program 'y/stm32cubeide_wayland'"

On realising my mistake, I performed a second installation, this time supplying "/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1" at the "STM32CubeIDE install dir? [/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1]" prompt. This time, the installer placed the software into the suggested directory, "/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1". I verified this using Dolphin. Now, when I try to start up STM32CubeIDE from /Applications<Launcher>/Development/STMicroelectronics Stm32CubeIDE 1.16.1, the system still(!) responds with the error notification shown above.

I also right clicked on the Applications launcher, selected "Edit Applications" from the pop up menu, and inspected the "properties" for the IDE. The General tab has the following.

Name: STMicroelectronics STM32CubeIDE 1.16.1
Description: STM32CubeIDE
Comment: STMicroelectronics STM32CubeIDE 1.16.1
Environment Variables: <blank>
Program: /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1/stm32cubeide_wayland
Command-Line Arguments: %F
The "Enable launch feedback" box is ticked.

The Advanced tab has the following.

Work path: /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1/
The rest of the fields/boxes are blank.

How do I correct this situation such that clicking on /Applications<Launcher>/Development/STMicroelectronics Stm32CubeIDE 1.16.1 will start the IDE ?

Stuart

4 REPLIES 4
Ghofrane GSOURI
ST Employee

Hello @SElli.11 

To resolve the issue of launching STM32CubeIDE after the installation, you need to ensure that the application launcher points to the correct executable. The error message indicates that it's looking for y/stm32cubeide_wayland, which suggests that the installation path was incorrectly set to something starting with y/.

Here’s how to fix it:

Edit the Application Launcher Entry:
1- Right-click on the STM32CubeIDE entry in your applications menu.
2- Select "Edit Applications" or "Edit Entry" (the exact wording may vary).
Update the Executable Path:
1- In the "General" tab, find the field labeled "Program".
Change it to:

/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1/stm32cubeide_wayland
2- Make sure there are no leading characters like y/ before the path.
Set the Correct Working Directory:
In the "Advanced" tab, ensure the "Work path" is set to:

/opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.16.1/
Save Changes:
Click "OK" or "Save" to apply your changes.

Test the Launch:

Try to start STM32CubeIDE again from the Applications menu.

THX

Ghofrane

Good morning Ghofrane,

Thank you for your detailed response. Stm32CubeIDE does now seem to boot up almost as it should. When it does boot up, it displays a blank Information Center tab. This, even though the system is connected to the web. I remember some time ago when I started to use an earlier version of STM32CubeIDE that the Information Center tab opened to a
populated perspective, that is, the tab was populated with links to various documentations. Has that functionality ceased or have I now uncovered another problem ?

On the positive side, using Help/Manage Embedded Software Packages, I have successfully managed to start(!) the installation of package stm32cube_fw_f4_v1280.zip and its patch file stm32cube_fw_f4_v1281.zip. I am intending to use the IDE in conjunction with an STM32F407 Discovery board.

One observation at this stage. It may not be possible to use the IDE on this (Intel Core i5 @ 2.5 GHz / 6 GB RAM / 640 GB HDD) laptop as the IDE does appear to respond somewhat slowly. It may be that the IDE may be to big / "heavy" for this laptop. Time will tell.

Stuart

Stuart

Hello again @SElli.11 

It's great that you were able to start installing the stm32cube_fw_f4_v1280 package and its patch file successfully.

Concerning the

Information Center Tab Issue:

• Ensure that your system is connected to the internet and that there are no firewall restrictions blocking the IDE from accessing external resources.
  • You can also try restarting the IDE 

Performance on Your Laptop:

• An Intel Core i5 processor with 6GB of RAM should be sufficient for running STM32CubeIDE, but the IDE might indeed be demanding in terms of resources, especially when working with larger projects or compiling complex code.
  • To improve performance, you can try closing unnecessary applications while using the IDE and ensure that your laptop is not overheating, which can cause performance throttling.

THX

Ghofrane

Hi,

When it asks for the install dir, don't type 'y', just press Enter, or a new path...

I have found that installing with sudo creates a cascade of problems due to permissions... Instead, create a folder in your home dir and install it there.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards
Pedro

AI = Artificial Intelligence, NI = No Intelligence, RI = Real Intelligence.