cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in-circuit debugger/programmer should I use for STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1?

Eugene Agustin
Associate II

I am using STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1 and I want to do some changes in the firmware.

What in-circuit debugger/programmer should I use? Should I use ST-LINK/V2 or STLINK-V3SET or STLINK-V3MINI?

Please help me. Thank you

27 REPLIES 27

Hi @Eugene Agustin​ , please consider this note, as reported in the SensorTile.box user manual:

>> Note: Your ST-LINK must have the level shifter to function at 1.8 V (the SensorTile.box power supply).

This mean that you should use by now either the STLINK V2 which is 1.8V compatible or the STLINK V3 with level shifters from 3.3V to 1.8V. If you already have a Nucleo board, you can use the onboard JTAG programmer (which is a STLINK V2). However, please consider that an adapter board from STLINK V3 to SensorTile.box will be soon available online.

Another way to program the SensorTile.box is through the dfu mode: you can build your FW and generate the .dfu file, which can be downloaded on the SensorTile.box through the DfuSe. Not the best way to do a debug but it should be only a temporary patch.

Regards

Hi @Eleon BORLINI​ 

I think that the adapter board from STLINK V3 to SensorTile.box is already available now. Can you confirm that the image that I attached here is the adapter that you are talking about? It's the adapter board MB1440.

0690X000009Z4URQA0.jpg

I am having a problem in flashing the FP-AI-SENSING1 on SensorTile.box. I successfuly write the file on the SensorTile.box but there is no data output on the STBLE app and after 2 minutes there is an error occured and the SensorTile.box turned off.

​Hi @Eugene Agustin​ , please note that in this moment, since STLink V3 supports only 3.3V VDD and above, while SensorTile.box runs at 1.8V, to program it, what is needed is STLink V2 with a 7x2–to-5x2 adapter to connect it to the STLink V3 physical connector (available on SensorTile.box PCB). In the (hopefully near) future, when MB 1440 level shifter will be available for the STLink V3, it’ll be natively supported by ST Link V3. Regards

HI @Eleon BORLINI​ 

Ok I think I get it now.

Please do confirm in reference with the manual. I attached the image cut from the manual.

0690X000009ZbMvQAK.jpg

Since I am using the SensorTile.Box and STLINK-V3, I am connecting the 2 devices using the JTAG/serial wire debugging with 3V to 3.6V.

I think I made a mistake that it has a 1.8V. It is thought SWIM, which I am not using for the SensorTile.Box.

Please confirm if I am correct.

With regards to STLINK-V2 there is 2 types of it. which one should I use? STLINK-V2 standard or the STLINK-V2 ISOL?

Thank you.

​HI @Eugene Agustin​ , yes you are right. The SWIM interface is the communication protocol for the STM8 MCU family debug, while the JTAG/SWD is dedicated to the STM32 family, which is the one of the SensorTile.box. The tool mounts an STM32L4 supplied at 1.8V for low power reason (being an IoT module), but this is not compatible with the debug supply at 3.3V. The upgraded circuit for the STLINK-V3 should be soon ready, but for now it's better to use the STLINK-V2. I suggest you the STLINK-V2 standard with a 7x2–to-5x2 adapter to connect it to the STLink V3 physical connector (available on SensorTile.box PCB). Regards

Hi @Eleon BORLINI​ 

Thank you for the confirmation and fast response. So what will happen to the STLINK-V3 that I already bought? What is the purpose of this debugger if I cant use it for the SensorTile.box? The upgraded circuit that you are talking about, will it be hardware modification or just a software modification? Will it require us again to buy the upgraded STLINK-V3 for us to use it to STLINK-V3? If software modification, can I still use the STLINK-V3 that I bought for SensorTile.box?

With regards to STLINK-V2 standard, thus the 7x2-to-5x2 adapter already included in the package once I buy the STLINK-V2?

Thank you.

Hi @Eugene Agustin​ , ST will soon introduce an adapter board with dedicated level shifters and LDOs for the 1.8V debug. We'll keep you updated. For the 7x2–to-5x2 adapter, you can use the standard female-to-female wires. Regards

Hi @Eleon BORLINI​ 

Ok I understand. The STLINK-V2 package includes also a JTAG or SWD and SWV flat ribbon with a 20-pin connector but you are telling me that I should use 7x2-to-5x2 adapter. SensorTile.Box have a JTAG on the PCB, so can I use the JTAG or SWD and SWV flat ribbon with a 20-pin connector to connect the STLINK-V2 and SensorTile.box?

Hi @Eugene Agustin ​the connection board is not included in the SensorTile.Box kit right now. However, I can show you here below the connector schematic so that you can arrange the correct wiring between the STLINK-V2 (please check the SWD column at p. 12 of the UM1075, especially for the SWDIO and SWCLK pins) and the SensorTile.box (below). Regards

0690X000009Zf0yQAC.png

Hi @Eleon BORLINI​ 

What is the reason why I cannot use the SWD 20 pins connector that is included in the STLINK-V2?