cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilizing STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1 for Angle/3D Orientation Estimation

SPiy.1
Associate

Hi all,

I am currently working with STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1 to estimate the angle and 3D orientation of a static device. As I am limited to using the capabilities of the lis2dw12 chip only, I am relying on the accelerometer to provide the forces in the XYZ planes in order to determine the tilt.

I am interested in using this functionality, but have a few questions:

1. Can the accelerometer measurements be used accurately for tilt estimation and 3D orientation, and do they remain stable over time without significant drift?
  2. If yes, what is the purpose of the 6D orientation functionality described in the data sheet?

https://www.st.com/resource/en/design_tip/dt0097-setting-up-6d-orientation-detection-with-sts-mems-accelerometers-stmicroelectronics.pdf

I would appreciate any insights and recommendations on this topic. 

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @SPiy.1​ ,

1. Can the accelerometer measurements be used accurately for tilt estimation and 3D orientation, and do they remain stable over time without significant drift? Yes, it is very stable over time.
  2. If yes, what is the purpose of the 6D orientation functionality described in the data sheet? Its purpose is to use internal sensor resources to calculate the orientation and to have an hardware interrupt activated by the detected orientation (the threshold can be set by the user).

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.