cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skew between samples of acceleration components in sensor IIS3DHHC

Guille
Associate II

Hi guys,

I would like know is there is any skew between the acceleration samples of each axe, i.e. ax, ay, az. In other words, if the acceleration components (ax, ay, az) are sampled at the same instant or in sequence. In this last case, I would like to know which is the skew time between consecutive samples of acceleration. By the way, I did not found any indication of this issue nor in the data sheet nor in the application notes & resources.

Thank you to every one that will read this and possible will give me an answer!

Guillermo

15 REPLIES 15
Guille
Associate II

Hi,

my application is for vibration analysis, so my measurements will be more dynamic than static.

This is why for me is very important to know if the samples of the 3 axes are taken at the SAME time instant or not. And if is not, which the time between 2 consecutive samples is.

You told me before that samples are MUXed, so they are not taken at the same time, right?

So, if sampling rate for EACH axis is 20,8 kHz (as you stated above), it is logical to say that in a period of 20,8 kHz, i.e. 48us, EACH axis is sampled once. So I supposed that the SAMPLING TIME (instant) between two consecutive samples of DIFFERENT axes is just 48us/3=16us. This should be the skew (for example, if acc_x is taken at time 0, the following sample would be acc_y at time 16us, and then acc_z at time 32 us, and so on.

I have to clearly understand if this is correct or not, please let me know if you do not understand my arguments.

Have a nice week end.

Guillermo

I understand your argument, and it is ok, but, I think there is no need to take into account this kind of temporal misalignment on physical vibrations, since there could be an additional latency along the DSP chain internal to the ASIC, or introduced by any filtering stages. Have a nice weekend you too! Regards

Guille
Associate II

Eleon that is nice but still does not answers my question,. To put it simple, is the skew 16us or not?

Thanks,

G

Basically yes, but please note that there is additional internal conversion due to digital filtering/decimator (average on N samples with respect to the chosen ODR and to the ratio between the internal sample frequency and the ODR itself). For example, as a theoretical consideration, taking into account that 4800/3 =1600 it means that, to obtain ODR=1600Hz starting from ADC samplig frequency of 4800Hz, the decimator executes an average of 3 samples of the same axis and then output the result or to obtain ODR=400Hz digital filter executes an average of 12 samples of the same axis before showing the result. Regards

Guille
Associate II

Ok thanks. That means that the lower the ODR the better will be the SNR (as more samples are averaged). But if the samples are made by the ADC in sequence ax, ay, az, ax, ay, az and so on, the averaging should not have an impact on the skew, that will continue to be 16 us between samples of 2 consecutive axes, do you agree?

yes Guillermo, I agree that the skew at the beginning of the A to D conversion chain is of that order of magnitude... Regards