cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IIS3DWBTR SLEEP Mode current issue

nandhinis
Associate II

Im using IIS3DWBTR sensor with STM32L562 controller,getting the high current  almost 800uA at sleep mode while testing.

1.What are the pin configuration we need to set ?

2.what are the registers need to be configure?

14 REPLIES 14

Hi @niccolò 

We have measured current(1.1mA) before making vibration sensor into sleep mode(with all other peripherals in sleep mode). After configuring CTRL1 register for power down current consumption(280uA). Still it is high.  You please let us know the pin configurations in sleep mode at controller side. We even tried changing ODR different from 0 still same current value. 

Hi @nandhinis ,

I wasn't clear, I'll try to explain better.

The sensor is by default in power down, when the Vdd is turned on.
so, when you turn on the board the sensor is already with CTRL1 at 0x00. (you can check that with a read).
here the current drawn by the sensor is the power down current.
when you turn it on, by modifying the CTRL1 the current should raise (if you really turn it on, but you can check that by reading CTRL1 first and then the output registers).

Now, regarding the microcontroller problem, I'm not an expert on that side, but I think that a few mA is a normal current for operations of the microcontroller.
I can, anyway, tell you how I would face this issue: in debug mode in the IDE (I use IAR) I would go step by step, keeping track of the current consumed at each step, and seeing what instructions make the current rise more. This way you can try to get which registers are involved in the MCU and find the right configuration in the datasheet.
anyway, I think that, for this issue, you should ask for help in the STM32 section of the community, if it is possible, they can surely give you advice on the configuration to lower the current consumption.

If this answers your question, please, mark this as "best answer", by clicking on the "accept as solution" to help the other users of the community.

Niccolò

Hi @niccolò ,

Thank you for the information.

In our design , vibration sensor(IIS3DWBTR)  interface with STM32L562 controller using SPI interface. We are checking the current at sleep mode but getting the current is more(0.28mA) instead of 5-16uA.

Can you please let us know ,Pin status of Vibration sensor in sleep mode?

nandhinis_2-1689331860202.png

In the above image, on reset default state of the pins we understood ,we want to know what is the pin status in power down mode?

Hi @nandhinis ,

When the device is in power down, the state of the pins is controlled just by electrical connections and the microcontroller. are you afraid the lines are consuming power because you made some bad connections?

can I ask you one question? are you able to read the WHO AM I register of the sensor?

Niccolò

HI @niccolò 

Thank you for the information. we have achieved sleep mode current