cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could pass your knowledge onto a dev starting their vibration project how would you recommend them to start?

HADWLL
Associate

I have spent some time on the forums and can see that there are many options for projects depending on the requirements of the user.

I am looking to hear people's opinions on a suitable setup as an introduction to the field. I am a firm believer in walking before you can run. My project is simple to record some vibration from a sensor and display it as an integer value.

No need for connectivity to std IoT protocols as yet.

I suppose one thing to consider is the availability of some products; eg, the STEVAL-STWINKT1B is out of stock now from many vendors available to me until after Xmas..

Another factor I am considering is, there are some setups that have great tutorials and examples I have seen one for the below mcu.

I was thinking of the STEVAL-MKI109V3 motherboard and STEVAL-MKI208V1K iNemo Inertial Module Kit?

Would be good to hear some opinions, the application is for motor, gearbox and pump condition monitoring via vibration.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul1
Lead

In each project I create a doc file that shows how to create project from scratch.

History has shown that this takes relatively little time for the project writer to create, but a tremendous effort for the project inheritor.

If a similar project needs to be started, or the project somehow becomes corrupted, or the tools have been updated and the project didn't quite upgrade as expected, then this simple document is a life saver, and a huge time saver.

1. Open a doc.
  2. Put in screen captures of every step to create the project
  3. Include captures of the "About" box in any software tools showing their version, as well as the libs (MCU Package) that project is actually using.
  4. Include all the screens in STM32CubeMX where you modified ANYTHING from default (do a compare of the generated reports pdf and txt files to catch if you missed something).
  5. Include all the screens in STM32CubeIDE where you modified ANYTHING from default (including source paths, includes, compile options C/C++/asm, Debugger Settings, Linker settings, linker LD file customizations, etc.)
  6. Useful to also include screen captures showing programming and starting debugging (both IDE and Prog tools), especially if your project includes a Bootloader.
  7. Anything else useful (Links to reference web pages used in designs, copies of paragraphs from algorithm descriptions, a page or more describing how the project code actually works = a story beyond the comments, etc.)

Paul

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Paul1
Lead

In each project I create a doc file that shows how to create project from scratch.

History has shown that this takes relatively little time for the project writer to create, but a tremendous effort for the project inheritor.

If a similar project needs to be started, or the project somehow becomes corrupted, or the tools have been updated and the project didn't quite upgrade as expected, then this simple document is a life saver, and a huge time saver.

1. Open a doc.
  2. Put in screen captures of every step to create the project
  3. Include captures of the "About" box in any software tools showing their version, as well as the libs (MCU Package) that project is actually using.
  4. Include all the screens in STM32CubeMX where you modified ANYTHING from default (do a compare of the generated reports pdf and txt files to catch if you missed something).
  5. Include all the screens in STM32CubeIDE where you modified ANYTHING from default (including source paths, includes, compile options C/C++/asm, Debugger Settings, Linker settings, linker LD file customizations, etc.)
  6. Useful to also include screen captures showing programming and starting debugging (both IDE and Prog tools), especially if your project includes a Bootloader.
  7. Anything else useful (Links to reference web pages used in designs, copies of paragraphs from algorithm descriptions, a page or more describing how the project code actually works = a story beyond the comments, etc.)

Paul

niccolò
ST Employee

Hi @thomas987adden​ ,

I can point you al so to  STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1, that is similar to the STEVAL-STWINKT1B.

for any kit you want to try, the approach suggested by @Community member​ is a good one

Niccolò

KWine
Senior

An application of the IIS3DWB to vibration analysis posted here.