cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect the LSM9DS1 to a STM32F769i Discovery board

RWarp.1
Associate II

I'm sure this is a very basic question, but I am trying to understand exactly how to hook up this sensor to the Discovery board. Do I do this via i2c connection? If so, is there a tutorial somewhere that explains what I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @RWarp.1​ ,

Based on LSM9DS1 datasheet you can connect this module to STM32F769 Discovery board through SPI or I2C interfaces.

STM32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @RWarp.1​ ,

Based on LSM9DS1 datasheet you can connect this module to STM32F769 Discovery board through SPI or I2C interfaces.

STM32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SofLit
ST Employee

You can also refer to UM2033 User manual / page 25 / Table 5. Arduino™ connectors (CN11, CN14, CN13 and CN9) for the possibility of these connections through I2C1 or SPI2.

If your question has ben answered, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

STM32

RWarp.1
Associate II

Thank you! So just so I'm clear, I would wire the LSM9DS1 to the Arduino, then send that data via I2C to the STM32F769, is that correct? In other words I cannot wire the sensor directly into the discovery board?

SofLit
ST Employee

Thank you! So just so I'm clear, I would wire the LSM9DS1 to the Arduino, then send that data via I2C to the STM32F769, is that correct?

--> Yes. Of course you have to setup this communication by doing some initialization from STM32F769 side.

In other words I cannot wire the sensor directly into the discovery board?

--> Are you using a shield for LSM9DS1 or you have just the LSM9DS1 chip?

STM32

Understood - and yes I saw some documentation on the STM setup side. I believe I do that through STM32CubeIDE, yes?

For the LSM9DS1 I am getting the shield (is that also called a breakout?). Not the chip by itself.

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

You can use STM32CubeMX tool to setup your config downloadable from this link: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubemx.html

To compile your application you can use STM32CubeIDE as a free IDE provided by ST.

For the HW, for example if you have a such board, you can connect it to STM32F769 disco but you have to add some connections by wire. Don't forget to supply the shield by connecting GND and VDD.

STM32

SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @RWarp.1​ 

If your question has been answered could you please close the topic by selecting "as best" the comment that contains the answer to your question?

Thank you.

STM32 

RWarp.1
Associate II

Thank you. I suppose another question I have is, do you know of an ST board that has built-in IMU sensing, AND that includes the CloudNav Sensor Fusion module for AudioWeaver by DSP Concepts? ST Micro has a deal with them, and I'm hoping for a simple solution that allows me to connect a board that has gryo sensors and supports the Audioweaver/CloudNav module. Here is the detail on the partnership with CloudNav:

https://cloudnav.net/2021/02/23/dsp-concepts-cloudnav-partner-to-bring-best-in-class-sensor-fusion-technology-to-audio-weaver/

And here is the detail on the ST Micro partnership with DSPC:

https://dspconcepts.com/audio-weaver/st

I am just trying to find the way to tie this all together.

SofLit
ST Employee

Dear @RWarp.1​ ,

Since the original question regarding the HW has been answered could you please open a new topic regarding this new question as this might be answered by another expert?

Thank you for your understanding 🙂 .

STM32