cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H3LIS331DL: Self-test function available?

YIbra.1
Associate II

I am wondering wether this device offers a self-test feature similar to its low-g cousin, the LIS331. I noticed that there is an app note attached on the product page of the H3LIS331DL that specifically describes the self-test feature in ST’s MEMS sensors, but nothing in its datasheet refers to a self-test feature.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @YIbra.1​ ,

unfortunately for the H3LIS331DL the Self Test is not declared, so it is not possible to implement this control.

The main reason is related to the fact that the self test forces a voltage on the MEMS element that is higher than the full scale for the standard products, but cannot be enough high for a high-g device.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @YIbra.1​ ,

unfortunately for the H3LIS331DL the Self Test is not declared, so it is not possible to implement this control.

The main reason is related to the fact that the self test forces a voltage on the MEMS element that is higher than the full scale for the standard products, but cannot be enough high for a high-g device.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon

Hi Eleon,

Many thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Would ST be able to recommend a mechanism - internal or external - by which the sensing elements in this device can be tested in an application at the production stage, even if it a very basic and Indirect level?

thanks again,

Youssef

Hi Youssef @YIbra.1​ ,

I would suggest you use the "1-g" test: you can place the device in a steady and controlled position, for example flat with the Z axis pointing to the ceiling, and then measure the axis output: if the result is close to 0 on X and Y and to 1g on Z, you can use this value to check if the device is good.

-Eleon

Thank you for the suggestion and your support.

All the best,

Youssef