cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASM330LHB chip shows large gyro bias jumps during temperature cycling (-40°C to 100°C)

dayu
Associate II

I performed a temperature cycle check on the ASM330LHB chip. Relative to the warming process (red curve), during the cooling process (blue curve), it is prone to large zero-bias jumps (in the red box of the picture)。

The jump during the cooling process, I feel like there is a correction mechanism in the gyro in the chip, which recognizes a large shift in the gyro zero bias during the cooling process, and then immediately corrects the large zero bias shift.

Can you please help explain what causes this?

Note: These data on the image have been smoothed for 10 seconds.

dayu_0-1707210744786.png

dayu_1-1707210985255.png

5 REPLIES 5
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @dayu ,

That's very strange. Can you give me more details about your setup and your test?

Thanks.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

We are putting 2 IMU chips on the same PCB. The temperature is lowered from about 30°C to -40°C, then raised from -40°C to 100°C, and then lowered from 100°C to about 30°C. The temperature is lowered at a rate of 1°C/min. The temperature is raised and lowered at a rate of 1°C/min. During the cooling process, large gyro bias jumps are likely to occur.

Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @dayu ,

It could be something related to the soldering process that causes some stress to the mems.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi  @Federica Bossi 

But why does this large gyro bias jump only occurs during the cooling process and not during the warm up process?

Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @dayu ,

I think it's chance, you might see it heating as well as cooling.