cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRG-x documentation discrepancy/lack of information.

MatteoFeatureJam
Associate II

Hi everyone!

I have a custom PCB with a STM32L4 connected via SPI to a SPBTLE-1S. As indicated in the datasheet the SPBTLE-1S is built around the BlueNRG-1 SoC.

Until now I understood that I have to configure the SPBTLE-1S as a network co-processor in order to allow it's usage on a custom PCB.

In the DT0121 Design tip (How to configure the BlueNRG-1 and BlueNRG-2 devices in network coprocessor mode) document is written:

"The purpose of this design tip is to provide customers with guidelines on how to modify the reference DTM application for running on a custom printed circuit board (PCB).",

an than,

"In order to configure the BlueNRG-2 device as a network coprocessor, the device shall be programmed with a specific application, named DTM (Direct Test Mode). In the device SDK the source code for this application can be found in the path “\Project\BLE_Examples\DTM�?."

In the description of the SPI interface the following table can be found:

In the SPBTLE-1S datasheet the pins seem to be configured differently as shown in the following screenshot:On this basis the SPI connections between The STM32L4 (master) and the SPBTLE-1S(slave) are the following:

CLK -> DIO0

MISO -> DIO3

MOSI -> DIO2

CS -> DIO1

The current situation is this: I flashed the DTM_SPI.hex for BlueNRG-1 SoC on the SPBTLE-1S module and I tried to generate some code with cubeM and X-CUBE-BLE-1 pack to try some basic communication via SPI between the MCU an the BLE module. All What I get is a always high signal or always low signal on the MISO. Everything was checked with a logic analyzer.

My questions are:

1. Is there any mistake in the connections between the STM32L4 and the SPBTLE-1S on the PCB?
  2. The binary file of the DTM firmware, DTM_SPI.hex, for the BlueNRG-1 SoC considers the different configuration of the pins in comparison with the configuration showed for the BlueNRG-2 Soc in the Design tip?
  3. Do I have to modify the DTM firmware to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
MatteoFeatureJam
Associate II

@Winfred LU​ excuse me to bother you, but looking at your posts it looks that you may know something about this. Can you help? Thanks in advance!

Winfred LU
ST Employee

Besides those 4 SPI pins, GPIO pin 7 is also used, as an interrupt signal for the module to notify MCU.

Please note that SPBTLE-1S has 32MHz HS crystal, which is different from the one used in STEVAL-IDB007V1 (BlueNRG-1 EVB).

The prebuild firmware may not work for you.

Try to build the DTM firmware from STEVAL-IDB007V1M folder, for example,

<DK>\Project\BLE_Examples\DTM\EWARM\STEVAL-IDB007V1M

gada
Associate III

I've been facing similar issue for some time.

We have a board made on similar lines of STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1. We used demo code for sensortile pro mode and modified it as per our needs.

On our custom board we flashed the controller STM32L4R9 Code and Since no hex for SPBTLE-1S is available I am trying to configure SPI pins DTM_SPI project from BlueNRG SDK V 3.2.1 But It doesnt work.

Specifically I had noticed in SensorTile MKSBOX Pro Mode Code BLESensors where in hci_tl_interface.c SPI Write HCI_TL_SPI_Send Function file that after resetting chip select pin, it waits for SPI IRQ pin from the SPBTLE-1S to go high (It remains high forever not responding to CS Pin).

Currently issue I am facing is that this pin remains high all the time, even on the development board (STEVAL-IDB007V1M) and on custom board.

(I believe and I did see in my experimentation 2 days back that if we toggle cs pin every 4-5 seconds the IRQ pin also toggles high low) Unfortunately, this is not happening.

I am stuck at the module firmware and feel I am very close but it isn't working.

Any pointers. Best would be if the SensorTile Board SPBTLE-1S Firware File is released by ST as on that board things are working fine.

Regards

MatteoFeatureJam
Associate II

Hey @gada​ , I was able to make it work with the DTM_full.bin firmware that I found here:

https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki/STM32duinoBLE#stm32duinoble-with-steval_mksbox1v1

Check the tile.box code because the strict HCI trough SPI protocol described in some bluenrg-x related documentations does not work in this case.

hope it works for you too.

> On our custom board we flashed the controller STM32L4R9 Code and Since no hex for SPBTLE-1S is available I am trying to configure SPI pins DTM_SPI project from BlueNRG SDK V 3.2.1 But It doesnt work.

Please try to build from IDB007V1M folder: <DK 3.2.1>\Project\BLE_Examples\DTM\EWARM\STEVAL-IDB007V1M

which shall work with default settings. A prebuild firmware is also available.

> Currently issue I am facing is that this pin remains high all the time, even on the development board (STEVAL-IDB007V1M) and on custom board.

OK then. This shows that the issue is on main STM32L4R9's firmware.

The SPI IRQ is a signal that BlueNRG-1 (SPBTLE-1S) notifies STM32L4 to start a SPI transaction.

Normally, the IO interrupt service routine should be triggered, and STM32 (acts as the SPI master) should start to read the 5-byte SPI frame header, then it handles following reading accordingly.

After the data is properly read out, BlueNRG-2 will reset the SPI IRQ pin. (The SPI transactions are done) It waits until next event is coming.

> Best would be if the SensorTile Board SPBTLE-1S Firware File is released by ST as on that board things are working fine.

As explained, it looks that it's not an issue of SPBTLE-1S firmware.