cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L7CX on STM32H7 with en.STSW-IMG037

pshih
Associate II

Hi:

I am trying to use en.STSW-IMG037 (VL53L7CX_GUI_v2.2.29009) software to evaluate the VL53L7CX ToF sensor. I implemented firmware on the NUCLEO-H755ZI-Q board with VL53L7CX sensor from Pololu based on the firmware example in the "en.X-CUBE-TOF1\Projects\NUCLEO-F401RE\Examples\CUSTOM\VL53L7CX_SimpleRanging. I initialized the UART with 460800 baud and sensor is dumping the data on a terminal software. 

pshih_0-1725888373318.png

The next step, I would like to use the GUI software installed in the en.STSW-IMG037 to evaluate the sensor. I launched the software, and it detect the ST-LINK. However, the "Connect" button is still graded out. Do you have any guideline how to format the serial data? Can I use the software with the board other than NUCLEO-F401RE and NUCLEO-L476RG boards?

pshih_1-1725888589020.png

Please let me know if anyone has success on the software. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The code that converts the sensor data to serial is downloaded by the GUI firmware. The GUI has no clue what it's talking to. But the .bin file we download was written for the STM32F401RE board. I don't think it runs on anything else.

Spending the $56 on the P-NUCLEO-53L7A1 might just be the easiest way to go. You can get it from Digikey or Mouser in one day. 

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

Hi John, thanks for your reply. It doesn't make sense to me. The software can display real time the data (distance, signal, ambient rate), and perform the offset and Xtalk calibration and visualize calibration data. This is great tool for real life sensor calibration. However, it only supports only NUCLEO-F401RE and P-NUCLEO-53L7A1. It's not issue of buying the evaluation boards. Practically, you want to be able to integrate to your final product. Hope I will have more information on the software integration.   

nuryono_sw
Associate

You can try to hook up the pololu VL53L7CX as the center VL53L7CX, the one labeled with _c in the schematic  on page 6 of 15  from this pdf https://www.st.com/resource/en/data_brief/x-nucleo-53l7a1.pdf

The frimware included for the nucleo board assume that you use x-nucleo-53l7a1 with the installed sensor on U2, ie the center

nuryono_sw
Associate

I've mistakenly assume taht you had the trouble when you use the sam enucleo board intende for STSW-IMG037

For any other board you could try to adopt this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qOaqZwT73s

I've manage to get the some result using another STM32

Hi, Thanks for your reply. This is really great demo. Definitely, I will try to see if I can use the LabVIEW VI to work with the sensors. Appreciate your help! 

The Graphical User Interface delivered by ST in STSW-IMG037 only works on our demo board. But the sensor can run on anything with an I2C interface.

The trick is you need to integrate the software in STSW_IMG038 to work with whichever MCU you have. 

Or use STSW_IMG039 if you are using a Linux system. 

As delivered, the STSW_IMG038 code will do everything you need but it lacks the I2C interface. To fill that in have a look at the platform.c file. It's kind of empty. Make that work on your MCU and you will be able to compile and run on any MCU. There is an example in that code that runs on the Nucleo-F401RE, but if you recompile if for any other STM32, you can get it to run.

- john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.