cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L4CX / CD Calibration

isaacjack
Associate II

Hi there, 

I am using multiple VL53L4CX sensors and the target is a person's hand within a 60cm range. I am wondering if there is a specific calibration method for a hand within a shorter range (60cm), to improve readings. Right now I am just using the default settings and using the STM32H755zi

Any help is appreciated, thanks. 

Isaac

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The VL53L4CD with its UltraLite Driver is pretty much configured the way you want it. The only variable is the Timing Budget. Increasing this integration time improves the accuracy, but at the cost of latency and power. A very general rule of thumb is that 4x the integration time gets you twice the accuracy. (But there are limits.)

The VL53L4CX on the other hand has lots of tuning parameters. You can select 'short' as timing option. This will actually send out more pulses as we can shoot them out without waiting as long between them. (The CD version only has the 'short' option.) The CX also has a Timing Buget setting you can use. 

But you shouldn't have any problem. You will get lots of photons with a hand below 60cm and photon counts are what we need to get a measurement. 

- john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'