cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefered colour surface background for outdoors (VL6180X)

Jhern.1
Associate II

Hello,

I am experimenting some trouble when using sensor VL6180X outdoors due to sunlight.

The lasers are continuously seeing a yellow surface at 15cm. I get good rangings under Indoor light condition.

The point is the lasers do not see any backgound when sunlight is hitting the surface.

My questions are:

¿Is there any colour that can be used in the surface so as to improve performance under sun light conditions?

¿Is there any setting I can tweak into sensors so as to improve this?

Regards, Ramon.

4 REPLIES 4
Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

Hi Ramon

The Time of flight technology is not independent on the color but it depends on the material reflectivity.

You may try the 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Tape to improve the signal to noise ratio in outdoor.

Thanks,

Julien

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jhern.1
Associate II

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your answer.

In outdoors condition I am getting the following error while ranging (Max Signal To Noise Ratio), which is due to high ambient light (as stated in API description).

0693W00000Npc6LQAR.png 

My question is: Is there any setting I can tweak so as to avoid this error and get a range value under these conditions.

Regards, Ramon.

Jhern.1
Associate II

Please, I would an answer about this topic.

Jhern.1
Associate II

Question: Offset or CorssTalk calibration can help on this?