Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM offers a laser sensor with FOV laser angle less than 10°

DMårt
Senior II

Hi!

I wrote a Unscented Kalman Filter for the VL6180x sensor

https://github.com/DanielMartensson/Unscented-Kalman-Filter

It works great! Better accuarcy. I have customers that want STM time of flight sensors but they telling me that "The angle is too big and the laser light is too weak, can you find ToF laser sensors that have FOV angle less than 10° and a little bit stronger laser light for darker places".

So I'm asking the STM support if STM have laser sensors that have the same accuracy as VL6180 and range (0-60cm) or VL6180 with the range (0-20cm) but with lower FOV-angle?

FOV angle at 25 is too much if I want to measure small objects at a distance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Well there is a new sensor due out at end of year 2021. It has a more narrow FoV. But it's closer to 20 degrees than the 10 you asked for.

There are markets that want a more narrow FoV, but to get that one has to focus the light.

But there are 2 problems with focusing the light:

1) lenses are expensive

2) Focusing the light will make the laser light dangerous.

The only safe way to make a focused beam is to use a visible light - so one knows to avert one's eyes.

And that's not really ST's market.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Well there is a new sensor due out at end of year 2021. It has a more narrow FoV. But it's closer to 20 degrees than the 10 you asked for.

There are markets that want a more narrow FoV, but to get that one has to focus the light.

But there are 2 problems with focusing the light:

1) lenses are expensive

2) Focusing the light will make the laser light dangerous.

The only safe way to make a focused beam is to use a visible light - so one knows to avert one's eyes.

And that's not really ST's market.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'

Thank you. I'm looking forward to that sensor.