cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everyone, I am new for STM32F4 microcontrollers. I will plan to use I2Cs of the MCU. Can I use I2C1_pack1 and I2C1_pack2 at the same time? So, if I used PB6-PB7 as SCL-SDA and PB8-PB9 as SCL-SDA at the same time in different operation? I want to....

risingEdge
Associate II

I want to learn that Can we use 4x I2C communication protocol in STM32F407?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @risingEdge​ to the community!

The functions you mentioned are alternate functions of these pins while only one of the same type can be used at a time. Or the other way around: a hardware periphery can only be connected to an associated pin or pin group at a certain time.

There is currently no STM32F4 with 4* I2C in hardware, but there is a wide selection of MCUs with 4...6* I2C in other families, e.g.

STM32CubeMX (stand alone or as part of STM32CubeIDE) will help you to find the most suitable part. It also helps you avoid multiplexing errors like the one you would have made with I2C1 on two different pin pairs.

Good luck!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @risingEdge​ to the community!

The functions you mentioned are alternate functions of these pins while only one of the same type can be used at a time. Or the other way around: a hardware periphery can only be connected to an associated pin or pin group at a certain time.

There is currently no STM32F4 with 4* I2C in hardware, but there is a wide selection of MCUs with 4...6* I2C in other families, e.g.

STM32CubeMX (stand alone or as part of STM32CubeIDE) will help you to find the most suitable part. It also helps you avoid multiplexing errors like the one you would have made with I2C1 on two different pin pairs.

Good luck!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

What do you mean by "different operation"?

Do you know that you can have several devices on a single I2C bus, as long as they have different addresses?

Also, while you can't use the different alternative pins of the same I2C module *simultaneously*, you can *switch* between them, if your application allows it.

JW