cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M. Sc. Student - How to choose the right microcontroller for my power electronics application?

Yvo
Associate II

Hi all!

This is quite a generic question, any help is appreciated.

I'm doing my Masters Thesis on the design of the digital control of different power converters (active rectifier, 3ph inverter, buck, boost and resonant LLC).

One of the first steps of the work is to decide which microcontroller to use, but I'm feeling quite overwhelmed on the huge amount of available possibilities.

By now, I've narrowed the options to the STM32G4xx and STM32H7xx families which are apparently the best for power converters control. However, among them there are still a lot of possibilities and I'm not 100% sure if I've dismissed some other good options (such as STM32F334, F4, F7...)

So the question is, how can I know for sure which is the best uC?

If any of you can share a guide/advice/contact to help me on this I'd be very grateful since I've got lots of doubts:

-How to know which is the minimum CPU frequency?

-minimum flash range?

-Is it optimized for PWM control? In some of them, specially family H7, cant see a specific module of PWM, crucial por power converters

-How can I estimate if 12-bits of ADC is enough or I need 16-bits instead?

-How can I know the maximum effective PWM frequency that a uC can reach with good quality?

I appreciate any contribution you can make on this

Thank you very much!!!

0 REPLIES 0