cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure to whom to address my question: Question about Virtual Com-Port-Driver 1.3.1.0 installed on WIN10. The manager states "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM 6)". But my attached ext. divice, which I want to access only accepts port 4!?

MKnap.1
Associate II

How can I change the driver to port 4 or how can I install the driver additionally for port 4?

*Edited by moderation: please don't mention your email address publicly on this forum*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MKnap.1
Associate II

Thanks for this additonal hint. So in future whenever I need to connect to my external device I first will check if the port managed by windows is still the same. In case it changed I also have to modify my configuration file.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The port number is exclusively managed by Windows and cannot (simply) be changed to a specific number. A particular program will usually find the port number(s) automatically or display a list from which it can be selected. Additionally, you can open the Device Manager (as you have already done) and check the VCOM port number of the current device.

Perhaps you could explain what exactly you mean by "only accepts port 4" as the device should only write to or read from a UART connected to the USB MCU?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Dear Mr. Bensch, thank you so much for your time and explanation. Meanwhile I found out that my program which connects via USB to the external device has a configuration file in which the port can be modified by a text-editor. Like this I modified to the port shown like in the device manager. So my problem is solved. Thanks again and have a nice day. Matthias Knapp Am Di., 5. Jan. 2021 um 13:40 Uhr schrieb ST Community :

You are welcome!

Please note that the port number is assigned dynamically and can even change on a given Windows machine. So it may not be a good idea to set this up in a configuration file.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MKnap.1
Associate II

Thanks for this additonal hint. So in future whenever I need to connect to my external device I first will check if the port managed by windows is still the same. In case it changed I also have to modify my configuration file.