cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming STM32F103ZET6 or STM32F105VCT6 for the VERY first time (using ST-LINK utility)

Isoux
Associate III

I have experience with several types of classic boards with STM32 microcontrollers (NUCLEO, Blue Pill...) that immediately connect with the stlink-v2 and st-info --probe command showing the characteristics of the controller and after that flashing is successful...

I recently bought the above mentioned two controllers and a boards (LQFP144/100 SMT to DIP Adapter PCB Board) where I soldered them with the necessary capacitors between all the VDD and VSS contacts. I properly connected SWDIO and SWCLK to PA13, PA14 pins, NRST to VDD over 10k resistors even boot0 over 10k resistors to VSS (This is how I noticed on all the schemаtics). There is no way I can read the microcontroller or flash it, although in addition to st-info and st-util, I also used STMCubeProgrammer and a linker on the Linux and Windows systems.

Result:

st-info --probe

Found 1 stlink programmers

serial:   6e78010132124647524b4e00

hla-serial: "\x6e\x78\x01\x01\x32\x12\x46\x47\x52\x4b\x4e\x00"

flash:   0 (pagesize: 0)

sram:    0

chipid:   0x0748

On one site I found detailed instructions on how to program the new STM32f103c8t6 for the first time. Nothing special is stated there and I did it all and I don't succeed at all.

I found almost nothing on Google that would help me except for someone to mention somewhere to "Pay special attention to the pull-up resistor on the TDO line", (PB2 ?).

Is there any useful advice or experience?

0693W000004IRZAQA4.jpg0693W000004IRYqQAO.jpg0693W000004IRYRQA4.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Isoux
Associate III

The problem is solved!

The downside was that I didn’t connect VDDA to VDD because I felt it wasn’t necessary if I didn’t use ADC.

after I connected VDDA to VDD it worked.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
TDK
Guru

You should have decoupling capacitors near the chip. You said you soldered them in your post but I don't see them on the boards anywhere. They're supposed to be close to the chip.

Rather than trying to solder this to a breakout board, buying a Nucleo board might be better and more cost efficient.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Isoux
Associate III

Thanks

They are on the other side... 100nF ...

TDK
Guru

So no bulk capacitance? Design guide recommends 4.7uF min. VDDA connected to VDD?

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00164185-getting-started-with-stm32f10xxx-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Isoux
Associate III

Blue Pill works great with all 100nf decoupling capacitors that's not a problem, I guess it's something else

Isoux
Associate III

0693W000004IRcnQAG.jpg

Blue pill schematics show it having 10uF downstream of the LDO.
https://github.com/dhylands/stm32-test/blob/master/board-STM32F103-Mini/STM32F103C8T6-Schematic.pdf
Isoux
Associate III

An important question here is how to start a newly purchased controller for the first time. I have a few NUCLEO and Blue Pill boards, but definitely thanks for the advice!

Not trying to derail. Power, swdio and swclk is all it needs if you’re using stlink. Good luck.
Isoux
Associate III

Ok, thanks a lot,

The only thing is that I didn't connect VDDA to VDD and I don't have 4.7uF between VDD and VSS, do you think that's why it won't work?