cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a simple tag reader solution with a read range >= 1 ft

Ted Jackson
Senior

I'm looking for a simple, low cost tag (passive ~1-2 cm square nominally transmitting a unique ID one-way) & reader (antenna & analog front-end) solution. Although read range data is ferociously difficult to find, it must be readable at a distance >= 1 ft under ideal (low noise, no collision) conditions. That would appear to lead me to ST25TV Type 5 'vicinity' tags, the ISO15693 standard with its greater range (as opposed to ISO14443) and the ST25R3911B chips. Can anyone suggest tag and reader (ST-LINK V2 programmable) with demo board products to get me started or otherwise advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ted,

as I am more specialized on software on reader-side it is hard for me to judge your statements on the tags. But I think you are right.

For the ST25R3911B I am confident that the X-NUCLEO-NFC05A1 and the ST25R3911B-DISCO offer the same capabilities. From my understanding the difference is on the antenna and its required matching. The topologies being the same so I expect it does not make any difference if you connect your own antenna to the one or the other (assuming you apply the same matching components).

The NFC05 may even offer more options to you by being able to break off the antenna and being able to attach it to different MCUs due to its Arduiono connector.

Possibilites here are the NUCLEO64 series from ST with its STM32 MCUs, NUCLEO-8 series with STM8, Raspberry Pi using adapter, SPC5 nucleo boards and of course the full external variety of Arduino boards.

With NUCLEO-L476 you can either use the X-CUBE-NFC5 package for your own embedded developments or also use ST25R3911B-DISCO firmware (you need to solder a USB cable to the right pins) and then you can also control it from ST25R3911B-DISCO GUI.

Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Ted,

similar requirements and potential solutions have been discussed here: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BfsK3kSQE/st25r3911b-with-antenna-size-30x30cm (with further links).

Regards, Ulysses

Thank you for your reply, Ulysses. Having begun studying it, I'm focusing on an ST25R3911B with Type 5 tags (ST25TV).

Rather than work with raw ST25TV chips per se, I want to work with pre-made tags (with attached antennas), and initially I'll be ordering part number ST25-TAG-BAG-U from Mouser. I'm wondering if the optional capacitance (23pF and 99.7pF) of the ST25TV tags has a bearing on reading range/sensitivity. I'm assuming that any NFC Type 5 tags (from any vendor, though perhaps not benchmarked/guaranteed by ST) should work, their range being limited mainly by their antenna size.

Can a X-NUCLEO-NFC05A1 suffice for a more expensive ST25R3911B-DISCO, if one is experienced in hacking PCBs? And do those require an Arduino UNO in order to function and successfully evaluate reading range, etc?

Hi Ted,

as I am more specialized on software on reader-side it is hard for me to judge your statements on the tags. But I think you are right.

For the ST25R3911B I am confident that the X-NUCLEO-NFC05A1 and the ST25R3911B-DISCO offer the same capabilities. From my understanding the difference is on the antenna and its required matching. The topologies being the same so I expect it does not make any difference if you connect your own antenna to the one or the other (assuming you apply the same matching components).

The NFC05 may even offer more options to you by being able to break off the antenna and being able to attach it to different MCUs due to its Arduiono connector.

Possibilites here are the NUCLEO64 series from ST with its STM32 MCUs, NUCLEO-8 series with STM8, Raspberry Pi using adapter, SPC5 nucleo boards and of course the full external variety of Arduino boards.

With NUCLEO-L476 you can either use the X-CUBE-NFC5 package for your own embedded developments or also use ST25R3911B-DISCO firmware (you need to solder a USB cable to the right pins) and then you can also control it from ST25R3911B-DISCO GUI.

Regards, Ulysses