cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE build problem

ashkanr65
Associate II

I downloaded these examples:

https://github.com/ashkanr65/STM32CubeWB/tree/master/Projects/P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo

to follow them, but when I open these projects, I can't build them with my STM32CubeIDE.

Anyone can help me?

15 REPLIES 15
Guenael Cadier
ST Employee

hello @ashkanr65​ 

I downloaded original https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeWB

It seems projects for P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo are only provided for SW4STM32 IDE. That might be the cause of your problem.

STM32CubeIDE Projects are provided for NUCLEO-WB35CE and P-NUCLEO-WB55.USBDongle targets. Could you try to open one of these to check your STM32CubeIDE setup (it should work) ?

Regarding SW4STM32 projects, I would suggest to try using SW4STM32 instead. Please check at https://www.openstm32.org/System%2BWorkbench%2Bfor%2BSTM32.

Regards

Guenael

Hello @Guenael Cadier​ 

Based on your message, I downloaded SW4STM32 and also IAR workbench, but the examples don't allow me to build them in SW4STM32!

And if I press debug or run bottun I get this message:

Unable to launch

The selection cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches.

In IAR I could build and debug my Nucleo board, but it seems that they are not working and I couldn't see the board with both applications ("ST BLE Sensor" and "LightBlue")

I used HRM example.

What should I do? Is there any documentation or workshop?

I tried to learn from these two workshops:

https://www.st.com/content/dam/AME/2019/stm32wb-workshops-2019/STM32WB_Workshop_Presentation.pdf

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lp9cDBzG94&list=PLnMKNibPkDnGRfqUO1Q_-1nW-tOKfDQbc

But non of them are working with the latest version.

Guenael Cadier
ST Employee

Hello @ashkanr65​ ,

Could you provide the output log of your compilation issues under IAR (please use the IAR version recommended into release notes of your Firmware package) ?

There should be no issues in compiling delivered examples ...

Debugging is another story, as you need to compile first ...

Regards

Guenael

Thank you @Guenael Cadier​ to answer me.

Of course I need to build (compile) and then run or debug. but the point is its button is off (as you can see in my screenshot I provided in last message). BTW, as I said I can compile and debug with IAR but board's BLE is not activated. This is LOG of compilation:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: IAR Embedded Workbench 8.40.1 (C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 8.3\arm\bin\armproc.dll) 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: Loaded macro file: C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 8.3\arm\config\debugger\ST\STM32WBxx.dmac 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: Loaded macro file: C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 8.3\arm\config\flashloader\ST\FlashSTM32WB_M4.mac 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: Connected to ST-Link/V2-1 [SWD mode 1800 kHz] [Access port: 0] Firmware V2.J36.S26 (Probe no: 67060730) 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: Initial reset was performed 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: 736 bytes downloaded and verified (9.21 Kbytes/sec) 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: Loaded debugee: C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 8.3\arm\config\flashloader\ST\FlashSTM32WB_M4.out 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:35: Target reset 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:36: Unloaded macro file: C:\Program Files (x86)\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 8.3\arm\config\flashloader\ST\FlashSTM32WB_M4.mac 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:36: Downloaded C:\Users\cephis\Desktop\STM32CubeWB-master\Projects\P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo\Applications\BLE\BLE_HeartRate\EWARM\BLE_HeartRate\Exe\BLE_HeartRate.out to  

flash memory. 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:36: 17118 bytes downloaded into FLASH (14.35 Kbytes/sec) 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:36: Hardware reset with strategy 2 was performed 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:37: 17118 bytes verified (9.55 Kbytes/sec) 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:37: Loaded debugee: C:\Users\cephis\Desktop\STM32CubeWB-master\Projects\P-NUCLEO-WB55.Nucleo\Applications\BLE\BLE_HeartRate\EWARM\BLE_HeartRate\Exe\BLE_HeartRate.out 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:37: Hardware reset with strategy 0 was performed 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:37: Target reset 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:37: DMAC: DBGMCU_CR was modified. DBG_SLEEP, DBG_STOP and DBG_STANDBY bits are set. 

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09:37: DMAC: Debug module will be enabled during SLEEP/STOP/STANDBY modes. 

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. I understood you were having compilation issues ("the examples don't allow me to build them in SW4STM32").

My point here was just to confirm if compilation (or build if you prefer) was only related to the IDE (SW4STM32) or to the project files you were compiling.

Using IAR, log you show me is not compilation log. It looks like launching debugger in IAR. So I assume compilation is ok 0 errors, 0 warnings under IAR.

this means that all project files are present, and compilation/build should be ok also on SW4STM32.

So do you have only execution issue ?

If not, please provide compilation log under SW4STM32.

Regarding the snapshot you attached in SW4STM32 tool, button you mention is for building the app. Could you use the "bug" one for download/debug (the red one in attached snapshot) :

I'm not WB expert, if your problems are related to project execution (compilation Ok flah download OK using debugger and debugging execution OK), I will check with WB colleagues for help on your topic.

Regards

Guenael

Ok, let me answer your questions step by step:

1-Sorry, I'm a bit lost. I understood you were having compilation issues ("the examples don't allow me to build them in SW4STM32").

My point here was just to confirm if compilation (or build if you prefer) was only related to the IDE (SW4STM32) or to the project files you were compiling.

>I could compile (build) projects that are made by STM32CubeMX with SW4ST32 or CubeIDE. But I cannot compile examples provided by STM in their github such as BLE_HEARTRATE etc.

2-Using IAR, log you show me is not compilation log. It looks like launching debugger in IAR. So I assume compilation is ok 0 errors, 0 warnings under IAR.

this means that all project files are present, and compilation/build should be ok also on SW4STM32.

So do you have only execution issue ?

If not, please provide compilation log under SW4STM32.

Regarding the snapshot you attached in SW4STM32 tool, button you mention is for building the app. Could you use the "bug" one for download/debug (the red one in attached snapshot) :

>As I mentioned before, I can compile with IAR and even run but board didn't advertise and I cannot find it's bluetooth.

But with SW4STM32 workbench, the build button is turn off and when I try to debug the program (bug button) or run (play button) it says:

Unable to launch

The selection cannot be launched, and there are no recent launches.

(Its screenshot is attached to this email)

3-I'm not WB expert, if your problems are related to project execution (compilation Ok flah download OK using debugger and debugging execution OK), I will check with WB colleagues for help on your topic.

>Actually I am looking for some examples or documentations that can learn me how I can send and receive data via BLE since both workshops your company released (that I mentioned before) are not working with latest version of firmwares and firmwares that mentioned in the workshops are not exist on your website anymore...

I hope my explaination was good:sad_but_relieved_face:

It's so important to me since I already designed a board based on STM32WB55xx and I need to work with BLE codes to send and receive my data.

I can't answer the BLE question under IAR. I will ask colleagues to check.

Regarding the compilation issue under SW4STM32, maybe it could depends upon the way used to open the project.

Could you try following way :

1 - Open SW4STM32

2 - Enable C/C++ Projects view (if not already open, please select C/C++ Projects in Window/Show View menu)

3 - in C/C++ projects panel, right click and select Import

4 - Select General/Existing Projects into Workspace Then Next

5 - Browse to your project location in Select root directory field

6 - When directory is selected, all SW4STM32 projects appear in Project panel.

Check your project to open (if not already selected)

7 - Click Finish

Your project is ready for compilation.

Guenael

Thank you for your answer. I did your way step by step to import project and this is the compile result in SW4STM32 and IAR are attached. It seems that projects are not import well or projects have a lot of problems since one of them (BLE_HEARTRATE) doesn't have problem (at least in compile part)

I will put IAR compile result screen shot in next post.

This is IAR errors