cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runs fine on Debian Jessie & Ubuntu 18.04 but no variables in .elf file on Ubuntu 19.10

frackers
Senior

Using the same .elf file for several projects using f303, f301, f407 and f779 MCUs, all work on the first 2 machines but although the Ubuntu 19.10 sees the STLink OK (the area I thought most likely to fail) the selection of the .elf file results in no variables being shown at all.

Is a system function being used to examine the .elf file that is missing in the latest *buntu ?

I've tried checking for dependencies missing (apt -f install) but nothing apparent.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello Frackers

We have been able to reproduce this behavior on 19.10. It seems to be an issue with the gdb parser used to decode the elf file. Gdb need the library libncurses5, and it it not available on ubuntu19.10.

You can install the library with the command : "apt install libncurses5", it should solve the problem.

Best regards

Stephane

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello Frackers

We have been able to reproduce this behavior on 19.10. It seems to be an issue with the gdb parser used to decode the elf file. Gdb need the library libncurses5, and it it not available on ubuntu19.10.

You can install the library with the command : "apt install libncurses5", it should solve the problem.

Best regards

Stephane

frackers
Senior

That seems to have fixed it - I had to load another .elf file first, I couldn't get it to reload the existing selection.

I also noted that after closing STM32CubeMonitor, there are several (what look like) zombie processes left behind

2473 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/stm32cubemonitor/stm32cubemonitor --type=zygote
 2475 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/stm32cubemonitor/stm32cubemonitor --type=zygote
 2940 ?        Sl     0:03 /usr/lib/stm32cubemonitor/stm32cubemonitor /usr/lib/stm32cubemonitor/resources/app/node_modules/@stm32/node-red-contrib-stm32cubemonitor/nodes/computeData.js
 2948 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/stm32cubemonitor/stm32cubemonitor /usr/lib/stm32cubemonitor/resources/app/node_modules/@stm32/node-red-contrib-stm32cubemonitor/nodes/logData.js

I'll leave them and see if they terminate themselves in a couple of hours.

Other than that, as I say, all working!

Thanks