cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I thought I'd try the monitor, so I caught my current project that I created in CubeIDE and imported the .elf file it generated, but the variables didn't appear in the list, even though I followed the wiki. Could I've something else set up in the IDE?

Peter.Farkas [hun]
Associate II

Could it only work with .out files? If so, how can I generate a .out file in CubeIDE?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

First : STM32CubeMonitor can parse the .elf file from STM32CubeIDE. You don't need .out, .elf are also ok.

I have created a test project with STM32CubeIDE and a Nucleo-F411RE. I have used default options and the elf file shows the variable in STM32cubeMonitor.

So with CubeIDE and default config, opening the elf should be ok.

The tool is monitoring variable in memory at fixed location. May be the variable is not visible because it is local variable and not global ?

You can open the .map file to see if the variable is listed :

.data.mycounter

0x0000000020000018    0x4 Core/Src/main.o

best regards

Stephane

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

First : STM32CubeMonitor can parse the .elf file from STM32CubeIDE. You don't need .out, .elf are also ok.

I have created a test project with STM32CubeIDE and a Nucleo-F411RE. I have used default options and the elf file shows the variable in STM32cubeMonitor.

So with CubeIDE and default config, opening the elf should be ok.

The tool is monitoring variable in memory at fixed location. May be the variable is not visible because it is local variable and not global ?

You can open the .map file to see if the variable is listed :

.data.mycounter

0x0000000020000018    0x4 Core/Src/main.o

best regards

Stephane

Peter.Farkas [hun]
Associate II

Hello Stephane,

I made a new blank project, inserted my code, translated it. The generated .elf file has become much larger than in the old project (1200k vs. 147k). I don't know what the problem was, but it's working perfectly with these few variables. Thanks for the help!

0690X00000DYuzFQAT.png