check host USB0 cfg

GreenGuy
Senior III

STM32WB version 2.9.1.2019050314

Linux version 4.15.0.72 64b

Eclipse version Neon.3 release 4.6.3

Java version 11.0.5 2019-10-15

Distro Linux Mint 19.2 Tina

I am using the discovery stm32mp1-157 and trying to follow the wiki tutorial. I have been able to build the is and load it and reboot. I have been successful in creating the gtk hello world, loading it to the board and running it. Now I am trying to do the OpenAMP_TTY_echo project. It compiles fine but when I try to start the debugger the connection fails indicating “Ethernet over usb0 connection�? error. The target widget in the lower right corner cycles through Status:idle, Device: /dev/ttyACM0, Addr: 192.168.7.2, check host usb0 cfg!.

Has anyone else run into this?

I have tried to fix it by adding group permissions for dial out and try to user name but no change.

I suspect a permissions problem but cannot figure it out.

I also checked the board side using the serial connection in SWB4STM and verified That the eth address for the board is 192.168.7.2.

The serial connection is not active while trying to use the debugger.

7 REPLIES 7
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ 

Did you refer to Help of SW4STM32 for Ethernet-other-usb gadget setting ?

Please have a look here :

STM32 MCU User Guide > Micro Processor Unit (MPU) Family - MCU support > Tips and tricks > Ethernet-over-USB Ubuntu 16.04 Set-up

Hope it help,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Although the path was slightly different STM32 MCU User Guide > Micro Processor Unit (MPU) Family > Tips and tricks > Ethernet-over-USB Ubuntu 16.04 Set-up I was still not able to get it working. The major difference I found was in the instruction on the PC side to do the command:

more /etc/network/interfaces which returned only

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

the expected section:

allow-hotplug enp0s6u4 

# auto enp0s6u4 

iface enp0s6u4 inet static 

address 192.168.7.1 

netmask 255.255.255.0 

network 192.168.7.0 

gateway 192.168.7.1

is completely missing

GreenGuy
Senior III

I have loaded both LMint 19.3 and Ubuntu 18.x LTS and both have the same problem. I also tried loading the new STM32CubeIDE and it has the same problem. So do we have to down grade to Ubuntu 16 for this to work in Linux?

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

​Hi @Community member​ 

So far we are not aware of any specific issues with 18.x LTS but I will investigate further.

Please confirm USB0 is still properly working to flash SDCard ?

In the meantime to not be stucked, there is some alternative you may use :

• connect your board to RJ45 ethernet cable network
  •  copy the generated .elf manually on target with usb stick, start it with remoteproc command.

cf https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Linux_remoteproc_framework_overview

Then set the debug session in IDE in order to not load the .elf. The debugger will then do a simple attach to the running firmware.

Hope it help,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I not certain what you mean when you ask "Please confirm USB0 is still properly working to flash SDCard ? "

1) Does the USB-over-Ethernet connection from the PC to the Board work? - No, the PC applications cannot find a USB0 device and nothing shows up in /dev indicating the presence of a USB device. However, the lsusb command on the PC does show the STMicroelectronics device in the list.

2) Does the USB on the board connect with the SD Card on the board? - I have no idea how to confirm that, and there is more than one USB device connection on the board. a) Stlink USB, b) OTG USB (type C), c) 4 USB type (A).

​Hi @Community member​ ,

> I not certain what you mean when you ask "Please confirm USB0 is still properly working to flash SDCard ? "

Just to avoid any harware issue, since Ethernet-Over-USB is using same CN7/USB OTG connector.

An internal try have been done with Ubuntu 18-04 and didn't show up any issue.

Which Starter Package version do you have ?

I notice that using the latest V1.1.0 Ecosystem version I get 192.168.7.1 for target IP address on usb0 and it works smoothly.

And more /etc/network/interfaces returned only

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

The section you are expected looks not required.

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN

The address is 192.168.7.1.

It is still not working. Thought it might be faulty USB C cable but I have verified the cable works on other devices.

I notice that when I issue the ifconfig usb0 on the target via the console interface I get the expected information including RX and TX packets greater than zero with no error.

But when I issue the lsusb command on the PC I do not see the "Gadget" device in the list, but the STmicro device is there.