cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L072/82 trouble with timeout HAL_SPI_Receive() / HAL_getTick()

Julien Weber
Associate II

Dear comunity,

I'm having some trouble using the SPI communication protocol between two MCU.

The aim is to transfer data via SPI(2) from MCU to a Murata MLM32L07x01 (based on STM32L072).

In my program, I'm using also UART2 / ADC / RTC / LoRa communication (SPI1) / GPIOs.

When I want to transfer data, I'm using the HAL_SPI_Receive function in the Murata like this :

HAL_SPI_Receive(&hspi2, aRxBuffer, sizeOfSPI, 3000);

If the variable sizeOfSPI is right, I received well the data and my program is following. However, when I don't know the size of SPI transfer (assuming I'm waiting for 80 char and I received only 60), I still receive the transfer char but the Timeout parameter should be used. In the case above, knowing the SPI is in polling mode, it should wait for 3 seconds maximum.

However, my program is going into an infinite loop. When I try to debug the software, I see a weird value from the HAL library :

In the SPI_WaitOnFlagUntilTimeout function, the call of HAL_GetTick returns 0 :

static HAL_StatusTypeDef SPI_WaitOnFlagUntilTimeout(SPI_HandleTypeDef *hspi, uint32_t Flag, FlagStatus Status, uint32_t Timeout)  
{
  uint32_t tickstart = 0U;

/* Get tick */ 
  tickstart = HAL_GetTick();

There is my definition of SysTick_Handler :

void SysTick_Handler(void)
{
  HAL_IncTick();
	HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler();
}

How can I manage to get work the HAL_GetTick function ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Need to make sure SysTick is enabled, and it has a higher priority than other interrupts and callbacks you might have dependencies in.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Need to make sure SysTick is enabled, and it has a higher priority than other interrupts and callbacks you might have dependencies in.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Julien Weber
Associate II

Thank you for notice this solution, you were right, the priority was the problem.

I though I fixed this issue before in the code but there are multiple calling of HAL_NVIC_SetPriority and it was a declaration in stm32l0xx_hal_conf.h which cause trouble:

#define  TICK_INT_PRIORITY            (((uint32_t)1<<__NVIC_PRIO_BITS) - 1)    /*!< tick interrupt priority */   

I changed it by choosing first priority :

#define TICK_INT_PRIORITY ((uint32_t)0U)

Best regards!