cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-L072Z-LRWAN1 Discovery kit lora range issue. Range of less than 100 meters.

Pradeep1
Associate

We are using B-L072Z-LRWAN1 Discovery kit for testing the range of LORA network. We have purchased 2 numbers of B-L072Z-LRWAN1 Discovery kits. We are using the factory default firmware provided with the kits. We have observed that the kits can communicate with each other only upto 100 meters. But as per the kits datasheet, we should get ranges of up to a dozen kilometers. We are testing the devices in city environment.

Are we doing anything wrong?

Is there any way to get the range as specified in the kit datasheets (over ranges of up to a dozen kilometers)?

1. Kit 1 is powered with USB connector CN7.
  2. Kit 2 is powered with three AA 1.5V batteries. (SB37 removed to release the RESET).
6 REPLIES 6
T J
Lead

can you try batteries on both units ? with USB come noise...

you are in the city, do the units have clear line of sight ?

batteries... you need two new sets ... then retest.

If you can't see the location of the antenna you likely will have issues. With a clear sight line 12KM should be possible.

You can try to improve range by increasing the Spreading Factor (SF) and dropping the bandwidth. Both will result in a drop in bit rate. Semtech has a calculator to compute the rates that various settings will achieve.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hello @Tesla DeLorean ,

I'm using two Nucleo boards  STM32WL55jc1 as Gateway and End device.

And I have some hundred of meters (300m) with SF11 , Freq 125Khz , TX Power 22dbi with this antenna 

link : GSM/GPRS Magnetic Antenna | Mikroe 

How can I increase the distance range , I'm based on ST Demo and I have not any Hw modification.

How can i increase the distance ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

>How can i increase the distance ?

As Tesla said:

clear sight line 

increasing the Spreading Factor

dropping the bandwidth

btw

I tried some y ago, with "optimum" settings, but no  "sight line" at all; between concrete buildings i got (from indoor /in house , first floor) -> walking the streets : about 200...400m . 

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hello @AScha.3 

Thank you for reply.

OK the test that you made that is abot 200m - 400m  , but on ST website they talk about KM...

All person use the STM32WL get some hundred of meters and don't KM....

for this reason I'm asking for a solution , hwo to increase the range.

I tested with many config and the some results !!!

Regards,

@EmdSTM32WL , 

i used SX1278 , not STM , at 433Mhz (to come better through walls ), but as long its the same standard, results should also be almost same.

+

Distance :

>Few people have even practically achieved communication between 212km Ground to Ground and even upto 702km using weather Balloon.

https://reibot.org/2017/04/23/lora-range-test/

The maximum range we obtain in Urban area is about 1 kilometre.

https://elementztechblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/05/lora-ultimate-range-test-guide/

>> solution , hwo to increase the range ->

Perfect antenna , free on a field and connect to weather balloon (only on good weather).

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".