Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit-banding and register field handling made clear and simple

Ben K
Senior III
Posted on March 08, 2016 at 22:21

Welcome everybody,

I have made some development on the CMSIS device descriptors:

- The bit fields are added for each register mapping C structure, so the bit fields appear as simple variables that can be read and written in the C code (the compiler will insert the necessary masking, shifting, etc. operations). An example of how it looks like:

typedef

struct

{ __IO

uint32_t

DR; __IO

uint8_t

IDR;

uint8_t

__RESERVED0;

uint16_t

__RESERVED1;

union

{

struct

{ __IO

uint32_t

RESET :

;

uint32_t

__RESERVED0 :

; __IO

uint32_t

POLYSIZE :

; __IO

uint32_t

REV_IN :

; __IO

uint32_t

REV_OUT :

;

uint32_t

__RESERVED1 :

; } b; __IO

uint32_t

w; } CR;

uint32_t

__RESERVED2; __IO

uint32_t

INIT; __IO

uint32_t

POL; } CRC_TypeDef; For example, the user code can read or write the 

CRC->CR.b.POLYSIZE

field just like any other variable, which makes developing and understanding code much easier.

- The other advancement is to create the bit-band alias equivalents for the peripheral structures. This enables accessing single bits with one load or store operation. Let me demonstrate:

typedef

struct

{ __IO

uint32_t

DR[

]; __IO

uint32_t

IDR[

];

uint32_t

__RESERVED0[

];

uint32_t

__RESERVED1[

];

struct

{ __IO

uint32_t

RESET;

uint32_t

__RESERVED0[

]; __IO

uint32_t

POLYSIZE[

]; __IO

uint32_t

REV_IN[

]; __IO

uint32_t

REV_OUT;

uint32_t

__RESERVED1[

]; } CR;

uint32_t

__RESERVED2[

]; __IO

uint32_t

INIT[

]; __IO

uint32_t

POL[

]; } CRC_BitBand_TypeDef; ♯

define

CRC_BB

((CRC_BitBand_TypeDef *) PERIPH_BB(CRC_BASE))The PERIPH_BB macro converts the peripheral base address to the peripheral alias address. From there, the bit offset is provided by the nature of the C structure (every bit is word-addressed in the alias region). For example, to set the RESET bit of the CRC, one can write CRC_BB->CR.RESET = 1; and this will create a single store CPU operation in the binary.

This has only been a short introduction, I have created a GitHub repository where you can find a more detailed description with source code and example code as well:

http://github.com/IntergatedCircuits/STM32_XPD

There is a readme for the whole project, and a separate bit-banding explainer page. The STM32 device headers are created by a code parser and generator, so I cannot guarantee their correctness (only for the parts that are used by the XPD driver code). Keep in mind that this is an experimental (hobby) project at the moment. Further device headers may be published if requested. If you have any questions or suggestions I'm happy to be of service.

Best regards,

Ben

#bit-banding #stm32 #bit-handling #cmsis
1 REPLY 1
Radosław
Senior
Posted on March 09, 2016 at 09:58

Using bitfields (this isn't bitband) is not always save.

Headers files with bitfields can be generated by tool aattached to CMSIS