Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link Utility slow to write EEPROM in newer versions

Andrew Watson
Associate II
Posted on July 28, 2014 at 15:07

Hello,

We're currently using the ST-Link Utility CLI to program small production batches. We need to program some individual configuration bytes for each device, which we write to the EEPROM from a script using the ST-Link Command Line Interface.

Our problem is that the newer versions of the ST Link CLI (v1.9.0 and v2.0.0) take a very long time to program and check EEPROM. It takes between 30 and 50 seconds to write a firmware image and two words to EEPROM. For comparison, writing only the firmware image and bootloader takes 5-6 seconds.

With older versions of the CLI (such as the one bundled with ST-Link v2.4.0), we didn't have this problem. What has caused the newer ST-Link to make EEPROM writes so slow? Is there anything we can do about it?

Is there an update planned to ST-Link to fix this, or an alternative flasher we can use? This has slowed down our production setup quite significantly, and reverting to an older version is not really an option since it doesn't support newer MCUs that we are integrating in future products.

Best regards,

Andrew Watson
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on July 28, 2014 at 17:05

Segger has commercial grade tools.

If you have access to the serial port, you could look at using the System Loader.

You might also consider putting test/configuration code within your product to write serial numbers, encryption keys, calibration or other device unique type data at a final test station.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Nickname306_O
Senior
Posted on October 16, 2014 at 18:37

Hi watson.andrew,

Please send me the hex file to test from my side.

I will let you know by test results.

Best Regards,

Nouha