Associate II
Posted on March 21, 2016 at 02:09

I apologize for

maybe

stupid

beginner

question

Portability.

I can code in binary form  (HEX or bin) created for example for STM32F205RC upload and tested on board with STM32F207Z?
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on March 21, 2016 at 02:33

If I understand the question scenario properly, and you are using the same clocks, you should be able to take F205 code, and put it directly onto an F207 or F407 for that matter.

You'll get headaches if the parts have less RAM, but things with more memory and peripherals will just have resources you don't utilize.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on March 21, 2016 at 16:36

Hi mark.aster,

To ensure a safe Migration/ portability between both devices, you should check/identify the major difference :

- STM32F207 include Ethernet and DCMI peripherals comparing to STM32F205.

- STM32F207Z is a 144 pin die and STM32F205RC is 64 pin die.

So you can do that safely, if there is no Ethernet and DCMI in your application and the used GPIOs are common between both devices ( check the table6.STM32F20xx pin and ball definitions to see availability between different dies) in the relevant datasheet at this

http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00237391.pdf

Otherwise, using STM32Cube Hal library, can guarantee automatically the compatibility and portability between all different STM32 devices. ( you may copy your user code into the template project)

-Hannibal-