Associate II
Posted on January 26, 2005 at 08:06

RS232 bootloader, Please

7 REPLIES 7
per239955_st
Associate II
Posted on December 13, 2004 at 09:49

Hello,

Does anyone have information on the RS232 bootloader that was (is?) present in the STR71x?

I dont have a copy of any document describing this ''no longer present''? feature.

But I would like to use it (for getting my hardware started) even if there are bugs in it.

Please anyone???

/Beach/

PS.

Please feel free to email it to me

DS.

sjo
Associate II
Posted on December 14, 2004 at 08:22

You and many many others would like this information, the only option at the moment is initial programming via jtag and load your own bootloader.

Regards

sjo

per239955_st
Associate II
Posted on December 14, 2004 at 11:23

Yes, I've understood from a couple of other threads in this forum that the RS232 loader will not be featured in the bootstrap loader.

But really why??

If we (the developers) are supposed to implement it in our code why can't they implement it in the bootstrap loader?

Or actually, they will not implement any bootstrap program at all.

I'm really disappointed about this. My device will have a ethernet interface and this will be the normal way/path to upgrade the product. But if that load/upgrade would fail it would be nice if there already was a bootloader (RS232) in the chip that could take care of ''failed upgrades''.

And I would also prefer to use RS232 in production instead of JTAG.

/Beach :-[

sjo
Associate II
Posted on December 14, 2004 at 11:26

I agree with you 100% - perhaps with enough noise ST might release details of the bootloader, other manufacturers use this feature as a selling point.

Regards

sjo

hichem2
Associate II
Posted on December 15, 2004 at 11:48

Hi all ,

SORRY :-?

For the moment there is no chance that ST provide the RS232 loader, the only option to use is initial programming via jtag and load your own bootloader. :(

Best regards.

HICH

sjo
Associate II
Posted on January 25, 2005 at 12:17

Looking at the docs the str7 bootloader is very similar to the vespucci bootloader - is the software for the vespucci useable with the str7 ?

Regards

sjo

sjo
Associate II
Posted on January 26, 2005 at 08:06

I have info only on the vespucci, nothing on the str7 other than the datasheet.

Regards

sjo