cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32h7 pin configuration tool

Steve Walsh
Associate II
Posted on October 31, 2017 at 13:53

I'm a circuit board designer and I've been given a set of requirements to map a given set of functions out of the STM32H7.  Is there a pin configuration tool that allows a user to specify which functions (CAN, ULPI, SDHC, etc...) are desired and it will map out the necessary pins?  It's a pain to keep flipping through the datasheet and trying to map it on an Excel spreadsheet, I get one set up and then it's got to move so I can map another bus.

6 REPLIES 6
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on October 31, 2017 at 14:43

Hello

swalsh

You can use

http://www.st.com/stm32cubemx

is a free ST graphical tool that allows very easy configuration of the STM32 MCUsbased on pins assignment, clock setup, peripherals and middleware components initialization.

You should follow the instructions detailed in the STM32CubeMX UM1718

/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.st.com%2Fresource%2Fen%2Fuser_manual%2Fdm001047pdf

The

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szMGedsp9jc

video shows how to download, install and run the STM32CubeMX.

Kind Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on October 31, 2017 at 14:56

I never got used to do this entirely on computer. I have made my augmented version of the table in DS (e.g.

http://www.efton.sk/STM32/STM32F4xx%20misc.pdf

for 'F407). When it comes to new design, I print a new copy and prepare a set of pencils, color pens and highlighters. I then use that coloured table when it comes to software. Often I work in tandem with my colleague who uses CubeMX, we find our two different approaches complementary.

YMMV

JW

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 17:56

JW, I also do something similar, with the alternate table with Analog and special functions added up. Then I also print the DMA Tables to find out if all peripherals I need with DMA will work. For example, on the STM32F437, SPI1,4,5,6 were high speed and needed 3 high speed with DMA. I found out with DMA stream that SPI1 could not be used, hence affecting my chosen SPI and pinout. Ideally if a tool could 'solve' automatically, it would be nice, especially if it also play with the alternate function pins to choose the one which offers the smallest package and/or the easiest PCB layout :-)

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 18:11

Hi Imen,

Thanks for your response - I downloaded the tool and ideally this would be the perfect solution, but I think there's a problem with the CANFD pins.  Let me start with by copying over a response from STMicroelectronics support:

STM32H743xI - what is the difference between CANn_TX , RX and CANn_TXFD , RXFD

Request Number:

TECH042647

Type:

Technical

Severity:

Medium

State:

SOLUTION PROPOSED

Product :

Microcontrollers

STM32 32-bit ARM Cortex MCUs

STM32 High Performance MCUs

(None)

Description:

I am using the STM32H743xI microcontroller and I need to have two CANFD interfaces.  There appear to be four different CAN controllers based on the signals,  but there's only two according to the documentation.  Why are there both CANn_TX/CANn_RX and CANn_TXFD/CANn_RXFD signals?  The evaluation board appears to use a CANn_TX/CANn_RX set for a CANFD interface, which makes no sense at all.  What is the difference between the CANn_TX/CANn_RX and CANn_TXFD/CANn_RXFD signals?

Resolution Summary:

SOLUTION PROPOSED BY SUPPORTER - 26/10/2017 23:11:45 :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two FDCAN interfaces on the STM32H743BI, STM32H743VI, STM32H743VI, STM32H743ZI, and STM32H743II.

The FDCAN1 can be configured as a time triggered CAN (TTCAN).

You raise a valid point with the current documentation.  There is another revision of the datasheet underway that should correct this issue.  Please read all the CAN references as either FDCAN1 RX or TX and FDCAN2 RX or TX.  The latest version of the CUBE and the H7 CUBE library have all this corrected.  The datasheet release is taking a little longer.

Best of luck with your design,

ST MCU Online Support

Now, when I manually map out the available CAN pins and ULPI pins I can get both CAN1 and CAN2, plus ULPI.  The CUBE will not map this combination.  I think there's a problem with the tool in regards to 

CANn_TX/CANn_RX and CANn_TXFD/CANn_RXFD signals in which the

CANn_TX/CANn_RX

are considered enable signals by the tool, but the response from support copied above does not.  The eval board uses CANn_TX/CANn_RX

as CANn_TXFD/CANn_RXFD signals.  

I'm confused, which is correct?  And is there an update to the CUBE tool as suggested in the support response copied above?

Kind regards,

-Steve

Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on November 01, 2017 at 15:28

Hello

swalsh

CANn_TX/CANn_RX are used as FDCAN Pins for communication, but CANn_TXFD/CANn_RXFD (OUTPUTs pins) are used in FD mode for debug.

We confirm this issue in CubeMx and this is already reported internally to the appropriate team.

Best Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on November 01, 2017 at 15:55

I'm sorry, this is incredibly confusing.  The response from support, which I copied above, states the following:

'Please read all the CAN references as either FDCAN1 RX or TX and FDCAN2 RX or TX'

Now you are saying:

'CANn_TX/CANn_RX are used as FDCAN Pins for communication, but CANn_TXFD/CANn_RXFD (OUTPUTs pins)  are used in FD mode for debug'

Please, which is correct?