Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM8L151C8U6

sguec.1
Associate II

Hello , 

Can you help me for the microntroleur reference

1) Why don't you recommend this product for new designs ?

2) Do you have an idea of the number of years before the end of its life ?

3) NRND information available in an PCN ? 

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @sguec.1​, to the community!

1. The STM8s will be discontinued in 2032 because they can no longer be produced at break-even, which is why there is already a reference to NRND. This gives everyone enough time to switch to alternative devices (e.g. the STM32C0).
  2. see 1.
  3. A PCN is a Product Change Notification. Since nothing is changed in the product until it is discontinued, there is no PCN.

Does it answer your questions?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @sguec.1​, to the community!

1. The STM8s will be discontinued in 2032 because they can no longer be produced at break-even, which is why there is already a reference to NRND. This gives everyone enough time to switch to alternative devices (e.g. the STM32C0).
  2. see 1.
  3. A PCN is a Product Change Notification. Since nothing is changed in the product until it is discontinued, there is no PCN.

Does it answer your questions?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
sguec.1
Associate II

Thank you very much for your feedback @Peter BENSCH​ 

You're welcome!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter

sguec.1
Associate II

it is done

Bad news that STM8 will be discontinued because it is a powerful MCU.

It have EEPROM with 128 bytes page write capability. This is also valid for FLASH. It have better code density than ARM and needs less instructions. We can do a 16-bits comparison with just 3 bytes of code, We can inc/dec/test/clear memory directly without using a register and with a single instruction. We can clear/set/toggle a GPIO bit with just 4 bytes of code. It have RLC, RRC and DIV instructions. It have 24MB of address space!

Also ARM GCC optimization is not the best.

I believe that many people without knowing the power of this MCU, ignore it just because it is a 8-bit MCU.

Philipp Krause
Senior II

I agree that STM8 is a really powerful µC. IMO it is one of the best 8-bit architectures I''ve seen so far. In particular, it is a good target for C compilers.

Fortunately, STM8S and STM8L are now back to "active", no longer "NRND"!