Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

st8 Discovery gdi-error [40201]: can't access configuration database

marc
Associate
Posted on March 27, 2014 at 20:09

Hi,

I'm trying to use the ST Visual Develop with the Cosmic st8 32k compiler.  I install everything and build the project.  That all works fine.  When I try to connect to the Discovery board with the debugger using Swim ST-link, I receive the following error:

Starting debug session...

-> Emulator reset (usb://usb)...

** Connection error (usb://usb): gdi-error [40201]: can't access configuration database

-> Failed to connect target.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing everything including the drivers.  I've tried other target settings.  The only one that works is the simulator.

When I connect the Discovery board, my computer sees it as an external HD.  I get the pop-up window and can look at the links stored on the board.  I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

I should also add that after the above error message a windows 7 pop-up appears saying that gdb7 has stopped working and a red LED glows on the board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

#stm8-discovery #i-also-get-same-error-so-please
43 REPLIES 43
Posted on December 13, 2016 at 14:51

Thanks SC for your valuable support.

I also faced similar issue in Windows 8.1 Pro based system. I installed the toolset with a admin account and then was able to debug with a normal account login. thanks.

kaloyan
Associate III
Posted on May 16, 2017 at 23:26

Thank you very much! Your solution solved my problem!

My system: Win7 x64

Posted on July 21, 2017 at 22:06

Thank you very very help full info & (solved my problem)

Posted on December 18, 2017 at 08:33

My OS is 64 bit windows 10, and this solution worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Posted on July 11, 2018 at 10:45

This solved the problem on my 64bit Windows 10 system. Thank you!!

SChow
Associate II

I am getting the below error after flashing the code and when tied to enter debug mode

---------------------------

ST Visual Develop

** Connection error (usb://usb): gdi-error [40201]: can't access configuration database

OK  

1) I tried this,  ''C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvd\dao\ST Toolset.msi'' , Did not work.

2) Tried this : cmd.exe - run as administrator

Regsvr32 /u ''C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL''

Regsvr32 ''C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL''.

Did not work.

:( :( :(

Thank you very much, I can go to bed with the smile now 🙂

Having done as suggested, in the first step result is ok.

But when I try the second step I get the reply:  

"''C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL'' was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search item.​"

I did that but no success.

Need help​ otherwise I will never be use the debugger.

Running ST Toolset Repair mode didn't work for me in Windows 10. But this works :

You will need to open a command prompt in Administrator mode. For those that don't know you will find it at Windows/Start button->All Programs->Accessories->

Right click on 'Command prompt' and select 'run as administrator'.

1st type this:

Regsvr32 /u 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL'

2nd type this:

Regsvr32 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL'

This unloads and then reloads the DAO DLL which fixes the problem nicely. It also assumes you have a standard install of Windows so if you put DAO350.DLL somewhere else then you will have to change the paths.

Thanks to :http://mieurekas.blogspot.com/2017/04/stvd-connection-error-usbusb-gdi-error.html and David Instone :https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkXhpSAF/stlink-v2-configuration-database?t=1562651258301

Jonodug
Associate

Hey

Had same error ''40201''

Running ST Toolset.msi fixed this problem on my 64-bit windows 7 machine .

On my 64-bit machine running windows 10 I had to first uninstall the  ST Toolset.msi and then do new install .

What was strange is they both stopped working on the same day .

Thank for all other info in this Thread help me solve this one!