cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to know is there any code generator tool for STM8 series. A code generator tool is available but it only generates reports and documents. I need a code generator tool that generates code like the STM32 CubeMX.

AKadi.1
Associate II

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The STM8 have long been out of date and are still produced with coarse structure widths, which makes production hardly profitable. For these and other reasons, it is not really worthwhile to invest further in software for it.

A much better approach seems to be to switch to STM32, where there are already very inexpensive devices and more will be available soon. You can already look forward to it!

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Kmax18
Senior

No, the STM8CubeMX tool cannot generate code like the STM32CubeMX tool does. As @Peter BENSCH​ already mentioned, STM32 devices are supported by up-to-date tool chain, and alternatives for the STM8 series are becoming available, for example the STM32C0 in January 2023.

Probably just need to learn to code, lift or port one of the assorted examples provided with the libraries.

I'm not sure of ST's long term commitment to the architecture, but there's a 10 year commitment on some, but that may be predicated on specific fab's and test equipment being maintained and available. Migrating on to tighter geometries might be a path to high yielding wafers, but the IO pads might become a larger structure than the primary logic.

I don't see significant investment in STM8 tools, and free tools pay nobodies bills.

Unless you have some preexisting designs or reasons to stick with STM8's you might want to look at Cortex-Mx parts, or even RISC-V

There are some very small foot-print CM0(+) parts in ST's portfolio, but these also have small FLASH/RAM that gets soaked up very quickly with math and float libraries.

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm8-8-bit-mcus.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..