cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another problem with the problematic STM8L050J3

Hi there,

I have made changes to the firmware and , via ST-Link V2, I would like to reprogram an STM8L050J3, which I had previously programmed with the Active Halt function enabled, but SVP does not allow it and responds with this message as the attached screen snapshot. Don't tell me this is not possible otherwise I really have to admit that this micro has little flexibility of use.

Thanks for any your support,

Sisto

3 REPLIES 3

STM8L050J3 vs ACTIVE-HALT mode

I may be wrong about something, but the fact is that the lack of an external RESET pin places major limitations on the use of the micro in Halt or Active Halt mode (wake-up via RTC every 8mSec).

In fact, in this situation it is impossible to use the DEBUG in real-time mode, and furthermore, after programming the micro with a firmware that implements the ACTIVE HALT function, there is no longer any possibility of reprogramming it as access to ST-LINK V2 is not possible (perhaps the RTC wake-up interrupt every 8mS is too short??).

In practice, it is as if you had programmed an OTP.

In order to complete the debugging with ACTIVE-HALT active, I had to use a NUCLEO-8L152R8 board which uses the same firmware (ports, RTC timer etc.) but adapted to the STM8L152R8.

Does anyone confirm my assumptions or am I wrong about something?

Thank you very much for the support, not just for this project, but general.

The 8-pin devices are always going to have to compromise something, can't you use the SMALLER 3x3mm QFN-20 part?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

"The 8-pin devices are always going to have to compromise something, can't you use the SMALLER 3x3mm QFN-20 part?"

Yes! Taking note of these limitations, it is clear to me that the STM8L050J3 and others like it, are suitable for small applications without excessive technical performance.

So since I am still in the prototype development phase, I have already decided to use the STM8L051F3 in TSSOP-20 which allows me better flexibility and operability. This package is compatible with the required dimensions.

Thank you for your support,

Sisto Zanier