cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F411CEU6: ST LINK DEBUGGER not working properly

Anitta_Darwin
Associate

Hi Team,

When I tried to flash the code to stm32f411ceu6 using the stlinkv2, I was getting the error "Error in initializing ST-LINK device.
Reason: No device found on target.

This error was corrected using the STM32 ST-Link UTILITY. When the USB cable is first plugged in, hold down the reset button, and immediately select Target->Erase Chip upon release.  Once the chip is erased, the bootloader will be able to utilize the USB connection correctly and you will be able to use the USB port to program.

After this, I did a Mass Erase (Full chip erase)in the  STM32CubeProgrammer.  STLINK got connected in  STM32CubeProgrammer. But while flashing the code to the STM32 MCU, We are getting the error:"Target not responding, retrying".

Kindly provide a solution. Waiting for reply

Thanks and Regards

Anitta Darwin

4 REPLIES 4

Could be the device is not powered adequately or an issue with VCAP pins/capacitors. Some of the Black Pill devices use fake parts. But you provide no details of your circuit or connectivity.

ST-LINK Utilities have been deprecated for several years. Migrate to STM32 Cube Programmer if you expect support or updates.

For effective connectivity the ST-LINK really needs VCC, GND, SWCLK, SWDIO, NRST. It needs NRST for "Connect Under Reset" to be achievable.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hi Team,

I am not using Black Pill, STM32F411CEU6 IC is being used. As I mentioned above, the ST-link debugger gets connected to the ST-LINK Utility and I am able to erase the flashed memory. But while using the debugger with STM32CubeIDE, while flashing, it is showing an error: "Target not responding, retrying".

Also it is going to the debugger mode only once and immediately terminates.

Kindly provide me with a solution.

Thanks and Regards

Anitta Darwin

Sounds like there's some secondary issue at the board level, likely with powering or reset.

So established the chip twice, which board it isn't, but no details about the design.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Sara BEN HADJ YAHYA
ST Employee

Hello @Anitta_Darwin,

It appears that the MCU is booting from system memory. Could you please check the boot options and set it to 0, so that the MCU boots from Flash instead?

Sara.