cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103C8T6 ST Bootloader Not Responding to CubeProgrammer over UART

UEdiz
Associate

I am trying to program an STM32F103C8T6 over USART via the System Memory Bootloader. I've already tried with PL2023 and FTDI FTR232RL based USB-TTL converters. I've tried with multiple computers and multiple tools provided by ST. Also, I tried jumping from user code to bootloader besides pulling BOOT0 to HIGH. Whatever I tried, the chip is not responding. I can see the initial 0x7F bytes via a logic analyzer on the bus and the chip is just silent. I tried with BluePill and a custom PCB which is assembled using an F103 chip that was desoldered from an original Nucleo board (the chip was an STLink obviously, and I flashed the chip using another STLink).

My main application which highly relies on USART1 works as expected. So I don't think there is an issue with the USART pins or PCBs I've used. STM32F103 is not listed in AN2026 AN2606, so is there any chance that particular model doesn't have a ROM bootloader?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
UEdiz
Associate

Yes, I mean AN2606. Sorry for the typo.

I am using the pins listed in the document. After a few tries, I found out there is something wrong with my USB-TTL converters or related drivers. The third USB-TTL cable worked for me and I am able to use the bootloader. I use the other USB-TTL cables for various projects and they worked just fine until now. Maybe there are more strict timing requirements with the bootloader which I do not aware of and converters struggled with them. Everything seems fine now. I was just unlucky with my equipment.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

> STM32F103 is not listed in AN2026, so is there any chance that particular model doesn't have a ROM bootloader?

You mean AN2606? I think "STM32F1 Series" means it applies to all STM32F1 chips.

0693W00000LwRAhQAN.png 

In any case, the various STM32F1 bootloaders are in the document.

0693W00000LwRBLQA3.png 

Are you using the pins listed in the document?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
UEdiz
Associate

Yes, I mean AN2606. Sorry for the typo.

I am using the pins listed in the document. After a few tries, I found out there is something wrong with my USB-TTL converters or related drivers. The third USB-TTL cable worked for me and I am able to use the bootloader. I use the other USB-TTL cables for various projects and they worked just fine until now. Maybe there are more strict timing requirements with the bootloader which I do not aware of and converters struggled with them. Everything seems fine now. I was just unlucky with my equipment.