cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer - Problem with installation (WIN10)

ARich.6
Associate II

Hello,

I have problems installing the Cube Programmer. During installation it fails to execute some batch files (first one "populateApi.bat"). If I continue installation anyway, the installed Cube Programmer can't be opened and can't be uninstalled, only manuall delete was possible. First tried with 64bit version, same problem with 32bit version.

My windows system is just a few days old, maybe some simple pre-requirements/installations are missing? I installed the Java Runtime Environment, but it didn't solve the problem.

This is the error log from Cube Programmer installation.

com.izforge.izpack.api.exception.IzPackException: An error occured

• in java.lang.Thread.run() at Thread.java:748
  • in com.izforge.izpack.installer.unpacker.UnpackerBase.run() at UnpackerBase.java:241
  • in com.izforge.izpack.installer.unpacker.UnpackerBase.unpack() at UnpackerBase.java:319

Caused by: com.izforge.izpack.api.exception.InstallerException: File execution failed

• in com.izforge.izpack.installer.unpacker.UnpackerBase.unpack() at UnpackerBase.java:299
  • in com.izforge.izpack.installer.unpacker.UnpackerBase.unpack() at UnpackerBase.java:483
  • in com.izforge.izpack.installer.unpacker.UnpackerBase.executeFiles() at UnpackerBase.java:959

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> My windows system is just a few days old

Is it a standard installation "as MSFT intended", or your IT has added some mandatory "security" or backup software?

(if the machine is domain-joined, do they have a group policy with similar effects?)

-- pa

ARich.6
Associate II

Hi Pavel,

I don't think this is the case. But I have to admit that i didn't made a clean install of the laptop, there's still some HP crap on it which I didn't deleted yet.

I also checked all java related stuff, added environmental variables path, because these seems to be the problem in my opinion.

The "STM32CubeProgrammer.exe" shows the message like "app configured to use bundled Java Runtime Env., but the runtime is missing or corrupted". Probaply same thing when I try to deinstall.

When i go to the ...STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer\util folder and execute the copy_jre64.bat manually (with admin rights in cmd), it tells me that there is no data in util/jre which could be copied. The populateApi.bat doesn't show some command message when executed in command prompt.

Do I maybe need to delete additional folders to manually re-install it? Maybe some app data,...?

ARich.6
Associate II

Hi,

just a sumary of my solution/workaround: I was able to get rid of the broken installation fragments:

C:\Users\me\STMicroelectronics

C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer

C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer

--> I guess both directories, because it tried the 32 version, after the 64 version failed.

And with the missing java (i guess it was jdk-15.0.1_windows-x64_bin.exe), the installation was successful.

Still one curious thing:

It wasn't added to the windows "start" context, though this was part of the installation. The link was not added to the STM folder, and the link/executable is not directly searchable (or findable) as an app. He only finds the "lincence.txt". But the links exist in file system! The links (Readme.txt, Licence.txt and STM32CubeProgrammer) got smashed directly in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\

but also in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\STMicroelectronics\STM32CubeProgrammer

I guess there still had been some fragments in windows from the old installation that now disturb the start menu...but it's working.

LCost.2
Associate

I also had the same issue, and even trying the solutions mentioned by @ARich.6​ , it still didn't work.

The installer was showing these 2 errors, when running copy_jre64.bat and populateApi.bat.

Basically what these batches do is simply copying some folders (External Loader, Flash Loader, Data_Base and the famous bundled "jre" folder) into their respective subfolders.

So basically, during the installation, when the error occurred, I copied them manually to their respective destination folders inside "C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer".

Populate_api.bat:

"%~dp0/../bin/ExternalLoader" "%~dp0/../api/lib/ExternalLoader"

"%~dp0/../bin/FlashLoader" "%~dp0/../api/lib/FlashLoader"

"%~dp0/../Data_Base" "%~dp0/../api/Data_Base"

copy_jre64.bat:

%windir%\System32\xcopy /y /I /S "%cd%/jre" "%~dp0/../bin/jre"

For a clearer picture of where the origin folders are, set "@echo on" on both of these files and run the installer again.

As you can see, one of failed copies was the "jre" folder, and that is why the error occurs when starting the STM32 Cube Programmer Environment.

0693W000007ZgqWQAS.png