cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeProgrammer application cannot be closed when 'No STM32 target found' happens.

JHe.1
Associate II

STM32CubeProgrammer application cannot be closed when 'No STM32 target found' happens.   The environtment is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. STM32CubeProgrammer version is V2.5.0. Java version is the latest version 1.8.0_271 (it has the same issue for older versions of Java). This issue was reported here earlier in May. Has ST tried to fix this issue since then? Is there any official place to report software bugs?

8 REPLIES 8
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @JHe.1​ ,

Thanks for reported this issue.

I raised it internally to the Tools team and we will come back to you with update.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
JHe.1
Associate II

Thanks for the reply Imen. I am glad that I can get response from ST. I am looking forward to the update.

Hi @JHe.1​ ,

I can't reproduce the problem from my side (even for Tools team) using same environnement ! The CubeProg GUI can be closed when no target found.

Please check that no project is open at the same time, as sometimes cubeprog crashes if there is another project open in parallel.

Maybe the problem is due to the installation of STM32CubeProgrammer. So, it will be better tried to reinstall it properly.

Otherwise, you can described exactly the scenario, how you received the message "No STM32 target found": you opened CubProg, without connecting a board you clicked on connect, then closed the Gui and CubeProg hangs !! or there is another scenario ?

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Hi, Imen,

In order to reproduce this issue, this is what I did:

(1) Connect ST-LINK /V2 to computer with USB cable

(2) Make sure you DO NOT connect any STM32 board

(3) Open CubeProg GUI and click 'Connect' 

(4) Then an dialog box showing 'Error: No STM32 target found!'. Click 'OK' to close this box.

(5) Click top-right corner 'X' of CubeProg GUI to try to close it. And it will not close.  

After this happens, CubeProg does not hang. You can still use CubeProg, or move or minimize the GUI window. But you cannot close it. You must use 'CTRL + ALT + DEL' and select Task Manager and kill the 'Java (TM) Platform SE binary' process.

If you do not connect ST-LINK then it shows 'no debug probe detected' and it is OK to close it without any problem. But if you connect ST-LINK /V2 without STM32 target board, then this issue appears.

I just reinstalled the CubeProg and it does not help. There is no other project openned in parallel. 

Radosław
Senior II

This is bug reported many times.

Wait for new version which will include java. (end of year what I heard).

To prevent this in application do something that isn't related with connection to target.

Hi, @Rados?aw​ ,

Thanks for reply. I did not find those posts that you and @Nesrine.JLASSI​ replied until now. This is what I thought (that this issue should have already been reported before by more people). Anyway, it seems it is a java problem as @Nesrine.JLASSI​ said. Looking forward to the update to fix this issue.

For STM32CubeProgrammer tool, STMicroelectronics recommend to use the Zulu 8 JRE (Free license).

Note that our Development team is working on bundling the JRE with STM32CubeProgrammer 2.6.0 installer. So, there will be no more need to install a JRE to use STM32CubeProgrammer.

Imen

Thanks
Imen

I followed the instructions (https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000KonaSSAR/stm32cubeprogrammer-zulu8-jre-recommended) and used the Zulu 8.44 JRE to install the CubeProg. But this issue still exists. The following is the message from CMD window when I click 'X' to try to close the GUI window.

Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.Error: Invalid memory access

at com.sun.jna.Native.invokeInt(Native Method)

at com.sun.jna.Function.invoke(Function.java:419)

at com.sun.jna.Function.invoke(Function.java:354)

at com.sun.jna.Library$Handler.invoke(Library.java:244)

at com.sun.jna.Native$3.invoke(Native.java:1136)

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy6.getExternalLoaders(Unknown Source)

at com.st.api.Programmer.getExternalLoaders(Programmer.java:331)

at com.st.controllers.ExternalWindowController.<clinit>(ExternalWindowController.java:44)

at com.st.app.Main$1.handle(Main.java:140)

at com.st.app.Main$1.handle(Main.java:57)

at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventHandler.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventHandler.java:86)

at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:238)

at com.sun.javafx.event.EventHandlerManager.dispatchBubblingEvent(EventHandlerManager.java:191)

at com.sun.javafx.event.CompositeEventDispatcher.dispatchBubblingEvent(CompositeEventDispatcher.java:59)

at com.sun.javafx.event.BasicEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(BasicEventDispatcher.java:58)

at com.sun.javafx.event.EventDispatchChainImpl.dispatchEvent(EventDispatchChainImpl.java:114)

at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEventImpl(EventUtil.java:74)

at com.sun.javafx.event.EventUtil.fireEvent(EventUtil.java:54)

at javafx.event.Event.fireEvent(Event.java:198)

at com.sun.javafx.stage.WindowPeerListener.closing(WindowPeerListener.java:88)

at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassWindowEventHandler.run(GlassWindowEventHandler.java:122)

at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassWindowEventHandler.run(GlassWindowEventHandler.java:40)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassWindowEventHandler.lambda$handleWindowEvent$3(GlassWindowEventHandler.java:151)

at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.QuantumToolkit.runWithoutRenderLock(QuantumToolkit.java:410)

at com.sun.javafx.tk.quantum.GlassWindowEventHandler.handleWindowEvent(GlassWindowEventHandler.java:149)

at com.sun.glass.ui.Window.handleWindowEvent(Window.java:1273)

at com.sun.glass.ui.Window.notifyClose(Window.java:1177)

at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)

at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$3(WinApplication.java:177)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)