cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Cube Programmer 2.9.0 crashing for a certain device

Benedikt Schmidt
Associate II

I have just updated the Cube Programmer to 2.9.0, which solved an issue with the secure area (https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001EEzsmSAD/unable-to-configure-secure-area-on-h735). I kind of hoped so, as the secure area configuration was mentioned in the release notes. Unfortunately, after I have the configured the RDP level from 1 back to 0 the Cube Programmer is now crashing when I am trying to connect to this device, no matter what I have configured for the connection settings. I can still connect to a different device.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007ff3ab2339fe, pid=179405, tid=0x00007ff3a820f700
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_265-b01) (build 1.8.0_265-b01)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.265-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libCubeProgrammer_API.so+0x5b9fe]  connectStLink+0x2ee
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/bschmidt/Development/peneder_controller/hs_err_pid179405.log
[thread 140684823193344 also had an error]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
/usr/local/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeProgrammer/bin/STM32CubeProgrammer: line 4: 179405 Aborted                 (core dumped) $DIR/jre/bin/java -Djdk.gtk.version=2 -jar $DIR/STM32CubeProgrammerLauncher

1 REPLY 1
JCGobbi
Associate

The solution to this problem was found installing the STM32CubeProgrammer v.2.7.0 and trying to connect. The message was "Error: Unable to list supported devices", and the solution is to run the application from inside the "STM32CubeProgrammer/bin" folder. The only difference with v.2.9.0 is that the application gets out, but the error is the same.

You only need to add the instruction "cd $DIR" in the file "STM32CubeProgrammer/bin/STM32CubeProgrammer" as showed bellow:

#!/bin/bash
DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$DIR/../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
cd $DIR
$DIR/jre/bin/java -jar $DIR/STM32CubeProgrammerLauncher

If the application don't connect yet, you must connect with the option "Reset mode : Hardware reset".

I tested with 3 boards with ST-Link v.2.1 and v.3.0 and all connected.

Good luck!@Benedikt Schmidt​