cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Difference between STM32 Cube IDE, STM CubeMX and OpenSTM32-System Workbench?

Karthikh_Amaran
Associate

I'm a beginner in working with Embedded Systems. I'm confused over OpenSTM32 System Workbench and Cube IDE. Could you please clarify me on this.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Karthikh_Amaran​, to the community!

Well, that is a very generic question and has historical backgrounds, but they are not necessarily important for newcomers.

• OpenSTM32 System Workbench (AC6), was supported as a free GUI with GNU GCC by STMicroelectronics until a few years ago.
  • STM32CubeIDE is the current free GUI with GNU GCC from STMicroelectronics, also contains STM32CubeMX
  • STM32CubeMX is the stand-alone tool for configuration and creation of a STM32 source code with initialization of the core and the selected peripherals, can create projects for different GUI (IAR, Keil) or compilers (make)

I'd recommend starting to read in the Developer Zone and maybe with a Jump Start.

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Karthikh_Amaran​, to the community!

Well, that is a very generic question and has historical backgrounds, but they are not necessarily important for newcomers.

• OpenSTM32 System Workbench (AC6), was supported as a free GUI with GNU GCC by STMicroelectronics until a few years ago.
  • STM32CubeIDE is the current free GUI with GNU GCC from STMicroelectronics, also contains STM32CubeMX
  • STM32CubeMX is the stand-alone tool for configuration and creation of a STM32 source code with initialization of the core and the selected peripherals, can create projects for different GUI (IAR, Keil) or compilers (make)

I'd recommend starting to read in the Developer Zone and maybe with a Jump Start.

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter