cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB_Host_Library / FreeRTOS Problem

farrelldw
Associate II

Hello All,

We've been struggling with getting hard faults originating in FreeRTOS generated code, but triggered by initialization of a USB optical mouse.  The symptoms and stack trace are nearly identical to a previous unreproduced / unresolved post:
https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemx-mcus/problem-with-usb-host-library/td-p/57379

Environment:
MCU STM32H7B3NIHx
STM32CubeMX 6.8.1
IAR EW IDE 8.50.9
FreeRTOS 10.3.1
CMSIS 2.00

We decided to start from scratch with a new CubeMX project with nothing enabled but UBS_HS_OTG and USB_Host.  (attached)  The application ran great and mouse actions were accurately received.  When FreeRTOS was enabled a hard fault was generated when the mouse was plugged in.  

Stack Trace:

HardFault_Handler
<Exception frame>
uxListRemove
xTaskRemoveFromEventList
xQueueGenericSendFromISR
osMessageQueuePut
USBH_LL_PortEnabled
HAL_HCD_PortEnabled_Callback
HCD_Port_IRQHandler
HAL_HCD_IRQHandler
OTG_HS_IRQHandler
<Exception frame>
HAL_GetTick
HAL_Delay
USB_ResetPort
HAL_HCD_ResetPort
USBH_LL_ResetPort
USBH_Process
USBH_Process_OS
prvTaskExitError

There is very little custom code involved here, and execution doesn't make it past USB device initialization, so my code never runs.  This is all USB_Host_Library and FreeRTOS generated code.  Please advise as to next steps or things to try.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
TDK
Guru

Look for signs of stack corruption. Try increasing stack size.

Examine the hard fault in more detail to determine where and why it's happening.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
farrelldw
Associate II

Stack corruption possible.  Dont know the source.  Have already increased "Minimum Stack Size" at CubeMX->Project Manager->Project to 0x4000.  Should be plenty.  Or are you referring to the stack size of the DefaultTask, which we increased to .stack_size = 512 * 4?

The hard fault is happening at the first line of uxListRemove( ListItem_t * const pxItemToRemove ) in list.c
List_t * const pxList = pxItemToRemove->pxContainer;
Registers look like:

farrelldw_0-1707882992804.png

exception description:
   The processor has escalated a configurable-priority exception to HardFault.
  A precise data access error has occurred (CFSR.PRECISERR, BFAR) at data address 0xc8d0245c.
   Exception occured at PC = 0x800a26a, LR = 0x8007c47

Hope this helps.

If this is in a task, which is likely, then the task stack size would be the relevant metric.

At the faulting line, does pxItemToRemove and pxItemToRemove->pxContainer contain valid values? If not, set a hardware watchpoint and rerun the program to figure out where they get modified.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @farrelldw 

According to the fault analysis, it seems you are reading from a bad address 0xc8d0245c (invalid pointer being passed to the function). So, this may not be solved by just increasing stack size but also check state of your pointers: pxContainer in the initialization.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@farrelldw The real mice are much more complex than the ancient "legacy" model used in the ST HID examples. They likely have a different report format or even can be multifunctional devices. This will break the example code. Instrument the code, detect unexpected descriptor or report, avoid buffer overruns.

For a "serious" project consider a production quality USB & HID library.

Hi @farrelldw ,

I cannot say much about freertos+usb , but as i see your stack size here ... 🙂

I made an audio USB host , with Azure rtos + usbX ; crash...until i made the memory area big...

see my settings:

AScha3_0-1707988318317.png

your > we increased to .stack_size = 512 * 4

mine 32K pool + 24K usb host stack + 2K app

So try with more memory .

farrelldw
Associate II

Update:

increased "Minimum Stack Size" at CubeMX->Project Manager->Project to 0x8000. 

Also increased the stack size of the DefaultTask, to .stack_size = 8000 * 4.

Nearly 32K for each.  Same fault.

Doug