cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm unable to install STM32CubeMX on the new Apple MacBook Pro with M1 max chip (under Monterey). Can someone help in this matter?

ABucs
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aymen CHAKROUN
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

Can you please send us a screenshot of your issue ? (i.e: popup errors, steps used to install, CubeMX version...)

Also, can you do this command line in a terminal:

$sudo xattr -cr ~/SetupSTM32CubeMX-VERSION

Were 'SetupSTM32CubeMX-VERSION' is the folder that was extracted after you download CubeMX from your macOS browser.

Finally you can refer to the User Manual UM1718.pdf to have more info on how to install and run CubeMX in macOS.

Regards,

Aymen.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Aymen CHAKROUN
ST Employee

Hi @Community member​ ,

Can you please send us a screenshot of your issue ? (i.e: popup errors, steps used to install, CubeMX version...)

Also, can you do this command line in a terminal:

$sudo xattr -cr ~/SetupSTM32CubeMX-VERSION

Were 'SetupSTM32CubeMX-VERSION' is the folder that was extracted after you download CubeMX from your macOS browser.

Finally you can refer to the User Manual UM1718.pdf to have more info on how to install and run CubeMX in macOS.

Regards,

Aymen.

ABucs
Associate II

The file was downloaded in Downloads directory and and was automatically unzipped inside the en directory. After setting the files attributes using sudo xattr I was able to install CubeMX.

Thanks Aymen and Most Appreciated!

Clark Sann
Senior

I have the same problem as @Community member​. However the solution does not work for me. When I run the file attributes command and then execute SetupSTM32CubeMX-6.4.0.app, I get a error message “java�? cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.. @Aymen CHAKROUN​ How do I fix this?

Aymen CHAKROUN
ST Employee

Hi @Clark Sann​ ,

I guess that you applied the file attributes only for .app folder.

Now, you have two choices:

1- Redo the file attributes for the folder 'jre'

or

2- Redo the file attributes for the parent folder (that contain both .app and jre folder) => Recommended.

Let me know you feedback,

Regards,

Aymen.

Clark Sann
Senior

@Aymen CHAKROUN​ I am still having problems installing CubeMX on MacOS 12.1:

1. I first extracted the complete installer from the zip file.
  2. Then I navigated the terminal to the location of the folder that was extracted. It contains the jre folder, a Readme, and the SetupSTM32CubeMX-6.4.0.app.
  3. I then ran the terminal command $sudo xattr -cr ~/en.stm32cubemx-mac_v6.4.0/ changing the name of the folder from what was shown to the actual name of the folder. Also corrected the path since the folder was not in root. [Note: the instructions should be modified to show the actual name of the folder, not the name of the .app file. Having the name of the app file in the terminal command is confusing.]
  4. Running the command produced a LARGE number of Permission denied: errors. Here are the first few:

xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/clark/en.stm32cubemx-mac_v6.4.0//jre/Contents/Home/legal/java.management.rmi/LICENSE'

xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/clark/en.stm32cubemx-mac_v6.4.0//jre/Contents/Home/legal/java.management.rmi/ADDITIONAL_LICENSE_INFO'

xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/clark/en.stm32cubemx-mac_v6.4.0//jre/Contents/Home/legal/java.management.rmi/ASSEMBLY_EXCEPTION'

5. I then proceeded to install. Install appeared to go well. Eventually, after a long delay, there was a CubeMX icon in my doc.

6. However it does not work properly. When I click on it, no GUI appears. The app dies before a GUI is presented.

7. Also, a couple days ago I installed the latest version of STM32CubeIDE. Now I notice that when I click on a .ioc file, CubeIDE dies.

Hope you can help with these problems. At this point I can't run CubeMX on my. laptop. I was successfully able to install both CubeIDE and CubeMX on my desktop. Both are running MacOS 12.1.

Clark Sann
Senior

@Aymen CHAKROUN​ 

I finally got CubeMX installed on my laptop. Thank you for your assistance.

First of all, I had to use the uninstaller to remove the corrupted version of CubeMX that was installed on my previous attempt. After I that, I could then view and modify .ioc files in CubeIDE!

Then I later tried several unsuccessful attempts to change the folder attributes and get CubeMX to install. At some point I put the CubeMX .zip file in my user root folder and extracted from within that folder. I still got a large number of permission denied messages. But looking at them I determined that none of them appeared to be significant. When I then ran the installer .app file, CubeMX then installed. Now both CubeIDE and CubeMX can edit .ioc files!

I am happy that I got this install to work on all my computers but I hope the CubeMX team can make it easier. I never have problems installing CubeIDE and I don't recall having problems with Monitor or Monitor Power. But for the last several versions, installing CubeMX has been VERY TROUBLESOME.

I would be happy to volunteer as a beta tester for any future versions of CubeMX. Perhaps this would help you better test CubeMX, especially the installer. Let me know if you would like me to help.

Clark Sann

Thanks a lot @Clark Sann​ for your update. Good news to know that you are now able to run both CubeMX and CubeIDE.

Regards,

Aymen.