cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find STM32 devices with the most PWM input channels?

Chris Lynch
Associate III

Hi,

I have a project where I need at least 8 PWM input channels, 10 would be great.

I can't see a method to filter by PWM input on the website or in STM32CubeMX. I would like to round it down to a few devices and compare them on cost, package, etc.

Is there a method to do this that I'm missing?

At the moment I'm simply choosing the devices with the most timers and working through the list 1 by 1 using STM32CubeMX, this is quite a slow approach.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Javier1
Principal

Search fot number of TIMers,

0693W00000YAsqqQAD.pngSo it would boil down to series F1 F4 and F7

I guess youre using Input capture, did you tried bursting ADC's?

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Javier1
Principal

Search fot number of TIMers,

0693W00000YAsqqQAD.pngSo it would boil down to series F1 F4 and F7

I guess youre using Input capture, did you tried bursting ADC's?

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
Chris Lynch
Associate III

Chris Lynch
Associate III

Javier,

Yes, I'm using the "Combined Channels" feature which allows the channel 1 input capture to measure the signal period and channel 2 to measure the pulse width (on time). This has worked well in combination with DMA.

0693W00000YAsmMQAT.pngI will look into the ADC suggestion 🙂

STM32F7 value line is the best match so far, but it would be useful if the search function in STM32CubeMX or the ST website allowed filtering by which timers support PWM input capture

KnarfB
Principal III

9 PWM input timers on STM32H723ZGTx, who finds more?

hth

KnarfB

Chris Lynch
Associate III

KnarfB,

Nice find, I just checked the STM32H723 device and it has 10 PWM inputs, 9 of which have DMA.

Ill keep looking just in case I come across a cheaper part.

Thanks for the help

Chris

KnarfB
Principal III

and there is a Nucleo board for it which might be interesting for quick prototyping/availability. knarfb

S.Ma
Principal

You can have a look also at STM32G4 series, motor control apps usually need lots of PWM inputs.

There are sometime high resolution timers with increased functionality (and complexity).

Usually TIM1 and TIM8 are "advanced timers" with at least 4 input channels each.

Sometime, you can hookup a DMA to one channel feeding a RAM array.

> I'm using the "Combined Channels" feature which allows the channel 1 input capture to measure the signal period and channel 2 to measure the pulse width (on time)

Depending on particularities of input signal, you should be able to get away without the timer reset, purely from input capture on the CH1/CH2 and CH3/CH4 pairs, doubling the capability of the "usual" 4-channel timers. If edges are sufficiently far apart, a single channel should suffice per signal, allowing you to use almost any STM32 with enough pins.

JW

Thanks, ill take a look.