cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Competent using the Cube MX graphical config tool

STehA.1
Associate II

Hi, I wonder if someone can explain how I can be more competent in using the CubeMX graphical tool for various peripheral configurations. Take for example, I am familiar with UART port hence the Cube MX GUI config tool for the UART is easier for me to understand and use.

However for I2S for example which I am not familiar with ...how do I use the Cube MX GUI to do its configuration? Trial an error? Or is there any user guide that I can refer to?

NOTE: Tools are made for making life easier not the other way round and ideally (thru the graphical tool) adapting into using new peripherals (of the MCU) take less effort

Please help clarify - many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KnarfB
Principal III

Don't consider these tools as learning tools. It's just pin planning and initial config of peripheral blocks.

Look for STM or independent tutorials/videos/... on that stuff. If you use a specific board/I2S peripheral chip, this will also determine your configuration.

The firmware repos might also have helpful sample code.

Here is an app note:

AN2739: How to use the high-density STM32F103xx microcontroller to play audio files with an external I²S audio codec

hth

KnarfB

> Tools are made for making life easier not the other way round

This must be individual.

For example, there are people who consider video tutorials useful. I am completely unable to gather any technical information from those videos. OTOH, I have no problem reading and understanding written and illustrated text.

This is probably why I find CubeMX mostly useless, as it's good only to "connect prechewed blocks", and inevitably fails to convey any more nuanced details or teach underlying principles.

I don't say it's impossible to make a truly informational video, or to make a useful clicky; but it takes several orders of magnitude more effort (read: people and money) than just recording a lecture or slapping together a couple of blocks in your favourite PC visual programming tool. And there's simply no market for that, nobody is willing to pay the price.

JW

PS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2S

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-manual/UM11732.pdf

Hi KnarfB,

Thanks for the App note.

SAM

Hi JW,

Thanks for the UM and brave motivation :D

SAM