cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(1) Which STM32F2 and (2) purchased where?

HForr.1
Associate II

(1)

Please tell me if I'm on the correct track here. I have an STM32F1 design (STM32F105RCT6TR) and a STM32CubeMX .ioc file that I used for pin-out assignment in the 64-LQFP package. This morning I created a new .ioc file for an STM32F2 (more specifically STM32F205RETx), also using the 64-LQFP package. The two pin-outs seem effectively identical. So, if both .ioc files seem to get done what I need to get done with regard to pin-out and library function setups, then might it really be true that I could simply insert a well-chosen F2 part onto my board originally intended for an F1?

Beyond that, what I also would like to know is, can I make my next redesign of the board intended for the F2 simply support one F2 in the 64-LQFP package -- and then actually get a hold of ALMOST ANY F2 and, as long as the Cube thinks it has all the pin facilities that I need, be successful in putting that F2 on this board?

Maybe I should rephrase. Is it true that all the STM32F1's and all the STM32F2's in the same package are for the most part pin-compatible? If they have the same resource, they'll be found on the same pin, including hard locations like power, crystal and JTAG?

(2)

However, when I search for any SMT32F2's in stock, all the "regular" places show me a big goose egg (that's "0"). So where in the world, literally, am I supposed to be able to get a hold of low 100's quantities of any of these puppies? (And also, therefore, a large part of the reason for my first question!)

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

The use, or not, of zero-ohm jumpers in the BOM covers a lot of bases.

This was true of the F2, F4 144-pin packages. In recent years I've migrated to mostly Lx series parts, and I like F7/H7 with the FPU-D implementation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
HForr.1
Associate II

@Community member​ what is "ETH"? Oh, "Ethernet"? No, I don't need Ethernet. Please confirm you meant Ethernet.

@Community member​ , yes, we're looking to stockpile at least a year's worth. Maybe in 30-90 days once new board proven, we'll stockpile more than a year's worth.

I think I'm ready to pull the trigger. I've found standard stock on the STM32F446 (yes, JW), I've found standard stock on a USB-to-SPI that will give me my 3 USB ports from a different post, albeit the 3rd added in a different location of the triad than previously envisioned. My Android/Java host guy seems good to go with this, including USB-to-SPI drivers. Gonna order for next day delivery, get in hand, and then let lose the rest of the team...

I'm might also add, that putting in foot prints for QuadSPI SOP16W / SOIC16 (300mil) devices will also provide a lot of runway for future expansion. Or frankly FOTA type methods for anything in the IoT sphere.

Not sure if your application has large code/data expectations. Or has a lot of space to work with.

For code execution I'd prefer the CM7 devices, as they have cache properly architected into the design.

For file system, or logging, look for eMMC foot-print devices over any other NAND Flash implementations.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..