Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to flash Nucleo-H563ZI with STM32CubeIDE V1.14

Nikita91
Lead II

I wanted to use a Nucleo-H563ZI but I can’t program it:

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 7.5.0
Copyright (c) 2023, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:
        Persistent Mode            : Disabled
        Logging Level              : 1
        Listen Port Number         : 61234
        Status Refresh Delay       : 15s
        Verbose Mode               : Disabled
        SWD Debug                  : Enabled
        InitWhile                  : Enabled

Waiting for debugger connection...
Debugger connected
Waiting for debugger connection...
Shutting down...
Exit.

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to execute MI command:
target remote localhost:61234

Error message from debugger back end:
localhost:61234: Connection timed out.
Failed to execute MI command:
target remote localhost:61234

Error message from debugger back end:

STLINK firmware version: V3J13M4

But with STM32CubeProgrammer it works. So it seems to me that the board and the STLINK are in working order.

After several tests with my application, I made a cleaning:

• Uninstall STM32CubeProgrammer and STM32CubeIDE
  • Install STM32CubeIDE 1.14
  • Install STM32CubeProgrammer 2.15
  • Create a new workspace
  • Import a simple example of the H5 package: GPIO_IOToggle

Compilation OK, but flash download impossible.

But STM32CubeProgrammer  works and the LEDs blinks.

I also have a Nucleo-H723 board with a STLINK V3 (but seems to be a different version than that of the H563 board) => Doesn't work either (With the same version of STLINK firmware: V3J13M4)

But download and debug work on the H723 board with TrueSTUDIO. So the board works.

What's stopping me from using these boards with STM32CubeIDE?

10 REPLIES 10
Mike_ST
ST Employee

Hello Nikita,

I'm not sure this is your problem, but the STM32H5 needs to communicate via Access Port 1, make sure this is correct in the Run/Debug settings.

It is a common misconfiguration when using H5.

The STM32CubeProgrammer switches automatically to Access Port 1, but I'm not sure for STM32CubeIDE.

For the H723 board, I have no clue.

Nikita91
Lead II

Yes the IDE selected the access port 1:H563_debug.png

It's the only choice.

Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @Nikita91

Could you, please, connect the target and try to:

- Erase the Flash memory using STM32Cubeprogrammer

- Disconnect the target from STM32CubeProgrammer  

- Start the GDB server, preferably using a different port number

- Debug the program using ST-LINK_gdbserver

Thanks,

Rim

Hello,

I spent my day testing on 2 Windows 10 systems:

On the 1st I was able to have a few debug sessions by applying a sequence close to yours:

• Flash Erase with CubeProgrammer
  • Disconnect reconnect Nucleo
  • Debug with IDE

=> works 1 time out of 3

On this system I just tried your sequence by changing the GDB port number each time

=> about the same thing: 1 time out of 3

On the second system I was never able to launch a debug session.

Samuel3
Associate

It seems like you are encountering issues with programming the Nucleo-H563ZI and Nucleo-H723 boards using STM32CubeIDE. The error messages indicate a connection timeout problem with the ST-LINK GDB server. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check Connection:

• Ensure that the Nucleo board is properly connected to the computer. Check the USB cable, power supply, and connections between the ST-LINK and the board.
  2. Restart STM32CubeIDE:

• Sometimes, restarting the IDE can help. Close STM32CubeIDE and reopen it to see if the issue persists.
  3. Check ST-LINK Firmware:

• Verify that you have the latest firmware for the ST-LINK. You can update the firmware using the ST-LINK utility or STM32CubeProgrammer.
  4. Update STM32CubeIDE:

• Make sure you are using the latest version of STM32CubeIDE. Check for updates and install the newest version if available.
  5. Check Debug Configurations:

• In STM32CubeIDE, go to "Run" > "Debug Configurations."
    • Check the debug configuration settings, including the debugger (ST-LINK) and target settings. Ensure they are correctly configured for your board.
  6. Reinstall Drivers:

• Uninstall and reinstall the ST-LINK drivers on your computer. Ensure that the drivers are compatible with your operating system.
  7. Check Firewall and Antivirus:

• Disable firewall and antivirus temporarily to check if they are blocking the connection.
  8. Verify USB Port:

• Try using a different USB port on your computer. USB connectivity issues can sometimes affect programming.
  9. Check Board Jumpers:

• Ensure that the jumpers on the Nucleo board are correctly set for debugging and programming.
  10. Check ST-LINK Connection:

• If possible, check the ST-LINK connection to the Nucleo board physically. Ensure that there are no loose connections or damaged pins.
  11. Alternative IDE:

• Try using an alternative IDE, such as TrueSTUDIO, to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to STM32CubeIDE.
  12. STMicroelectronics Support:

• If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider reaching out to STMicroelectronics support. They may provide specific guidance based on your board and setup.

Remember to document any error messages or specific details you encounter during the troubleshooting process, as these can be helpful in identifying the root cause of the problem.

Thanks for your advices.

As I already said, the physical connection is good, as well as the USB port since everything works with CubeProgrammer.

As already said, the Nucleo's IDE and firmware are at the latest version and they have been re-installed recently.

As for using an alternative IDE, I have so far been using TrueSTUDIO with some adjustments to use recent MCUs and updated GCC. But with the H5 using DP 1 instead of DP 0 for debugging, I don't know how to do it yet.

So I have to manage to have a working STM32CubeIDE, which doesn't seem easy.

Hello, 

Thank you for your feedback.

Could you, also,  try these  points as well :

1. Check that STLinkServer is installed.
  2. Check that STLink usb drivers are installed , they will be installed with STM32CubeIde installer.
  3. When you plug the board to the PC, It should enumerate as a STLink debug probe in device manager.
  4. Upgrade STLink firmware.
  5. Check the wiring cable and find one you know for sure is a data cable.

Thank you.

How I check if STLinkServer  and  STLink usb drivers are installed?

Il did the standard CubeIDE install.

The device manager shows:

stlink_mgr.png

The CubeIDE V1.14.0 required the STLINK firmware upgrade to:

Version: V3J13M4
Build:   Jun 16 2023 16:43:25

I think the USB cable is OK because I use it for a long time, and CubeProgrammer works flawlessly with it.

Do CubeIDE and CubeProgrammer use different drivers?

Hello,

The SLINK server folder is located in the STM32CubeIDE installation path, as is the SLINK USB driver, which is located in the Drivers folder C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.14.0\STM32CubeIDE\drivers.

Could you also enable the GDB server traces to get more information, that would be helpful.

gdb.PNG