Did you mean: 

Target selection: STM32 target or STM32Cube example selection is required

Dabbo
Associate III

Running on Ubuntu

STM32CubeIDE

Version: 1.13.2

Build: 18220_20230914_1601 (UTC).

Fresh installation but just getting blank page saying "Target selection: STM32 target or STM32Cube example selection is required".

I've:

1. Checked for target selector device database updates

2. Checked for Embedded Software Packages Updates

3. Managed Embedded Software Packages and installed latest package for STMG0

Rebooted etc, but still getting this message and can't get past.

PS: STM32CubeIDE runs fine on Windows 11 connected to target board (Nucleo-64 G071RB)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dabbo
Associate III

I have found solution. I am not expert, but it appears to be a x11/Wayland problem.

Solved by creating the below file which I called EDS_STM32CubeIDE_1.13.2.desktop and putting it in /usr/share/applications (and using CHMOD +x to make it executable). The key part being "Exec=env GDK BACKEND=x11"

[Desktop Entry]
Name=EDS_STM32CubeIDE
Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=x11 /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.13.2/stm32cubeide
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/applications/teapot.xpm
Categories=Development;

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Semer CHERNI
ST Employee

Hello @Dabbo 

First let me thank you for posting.
Could you provide the exact version of Ubuntu you are using.
Also, could you provide the .log and the ide.log file found under workspace_name/.metadata.

KR,

Semer.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dabbo
Associate III

I have found solution. I am not expert, but it appears to be a x11/Wayland problem.

Solved by creating the below file which I called EDS_STM32CubeIDE_1.13.2.desktop and putting it in /usr/share/applications (and using CHMOD +x to make it executable). The key part being "Exec=env GDK BACKEND=x11"

[Desktop Entry]
Name=EDS_STM32CubeIDE
Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=x11 /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.13.2/stm32cubeide
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/applications/teapot.xpm
Categories=Development;

Hi there! I have solved the problem, but fyi I'm using Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS.

Files are attached. Thanks, Ed

Even I already described the same problem in https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubeide-mcus/warning-stm32-target-or-stm32cube-example-section-required/m-p/575613 your solution does not works for me. I tried your Exec= env GDE_BACKEND/KDE_BACKENd=x11 .... .I still get the same error

I even tried to remove the .ide* files in the root of my personal folder. It did not made any difference.

Is there any solution of my case?

badi1
Associate II

Is there any solution of my case?

badi1
Associate II

I tried to make a fresh install of the recent cubeide and wiped the old file from the disk including the stm related files/folder in my home. Istll have no success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opening cubeide it said: "Cannot determine ..."URI of a earlier opened source file relative to /. It seems that the my cubeide project folder is not prependet.