cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol definition for outline view in STM32CubeIDE

decook1110
Associate III

I looked through the DM00629856 User Manual UM2609 for this information.  

Can someone point me in the direction of how I can find a table/graphic to define the symbols in the outline window pictured below.

Thanks

decook1110_0-1722057003701.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oo, so i mis-understand...

just look at : menu -> help -> help contents

then search, what you want to know: outline icons

AScha3_0-1722114456324.png

btw

Most you found out yourself, same me . (static ..etc.) 🙂

Because this is Eclipse IDE, you can find everything in help or ask in eclipse-forum.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AScha.3
Chief II

>how I can find a table/graphic to define the symbols in the outline

The outline just shows, whats in your program. ( just shows what is there now : variables, functions etc.)

You cannot "change" it - except,  you change something in your program, then outline will show this also.

And the names/functions from code generator are, as they are. If you dont like them, dont use code generator/HAL and write bare metal, then outline will show you only your names and numbers.

AScha3_0-1722065225090.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
decook1110
Associate III

The question was not about changing the symbols, it was about finding some literature that defined what each symbol means.

I'm learning both programming in C and how to use the IDE at the same time, so all the symbols might as well be written in Sumarian if there isn't a help page to explain what they are.

Here is a condensed version of the same picture

decook1110_0-1722108353176.png

There are big blue or green dots, small green dots, something that looks like a bar bell.

Sometimes they have an S in the upper right and sometimes they are crossed out with a forward slash.

Manipulation of the buttons at the top of the window leads me to believe the upper right S indicates that the 'thing' is static because all of those dissappear when you activate the 'Hide Static Members' button.  I'm also still figuring out exactly what 'static' indicates when applied to different members.

When the 'Hide Inactive Elements' button is pressed, the green dot with the forward slash dissappears, so I assume that the forward slash indicates that the member is 'Inactive'.  The lines for that member appear in the editor to be greyed out as pictured below

decook1110_1-1722109361701.png

How does someone make lines of code 'inactive'

Also the button for 'Hide Inactive Members' is 

decook1110_2-1722109465912.png

It is a hash symbol with a backwards slash, but the 'member' that was hidden had a forward slash over its green dot.  Is there something special between the forward and backwards slashes in these buttons or in the outline window.

So I hope you can see where a page of help that was easy to find and explained these symbols would help someone like me on the steep part of the learning curve.  I'm sure there is a simple button somewhere to push..

Thanks

Oo, so i mis-understand...

just look at : menu -> help -> help contents

then search, what you want to know: outline icons

AScha3_0-1722114456324.png

btw

Most you found out yourself, same me . (static ..etc.) 🙂

Because this is Eclipse IDE, you can find everything in help or ask in eclipse-forum.

decook1110
Associate III

Thanks, it was the search term I needed help with, I was searching for 'outline symbols', 'outline icons' makes more sense and led to the table finally.  This is why I find the forum so helpful, the simple stuff we're still ignorant of until someone informs us.  So that solved my question, and now that I find that table, I see its an incomplete list of symbols, it doesn't include the dumbbell looking icon, and lists things as class and methods although these are C programs and not C++ that I'm working with.  So I'm back to the trial and error and can stop looking for help from 'help'.